Volvo 8.1 Hydrolocks -4 times . PLEASE HELP

kcharlesmd

Recruit
I have a 2007 Chaparral with a 8.1 liter Volvo engine. For the 4th time it overheated and hydrolocked. The first time the mechanic blamed the impellar and replaced it. The second time the mechanic replace the thermostat and the third time the mechanic replaced the manifold gaskets. Three different mechanics - the last one supposedly a big time volvo guy. Someone told me the risers may not be high enough - is this possible? What now? - it is about $1200 each time this happens!!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 8.1 Hydrolocks -4 times . PLEASE HELP

Not much information to go on. What drive do you have. some details on the overheat. Does it overheat immediatly when you start it, or do you have to run it for a couple of hours before it happens.
Do you shut the engine off above idle? Does it diesel when you shut it off?
What is the full model number of your engine?

kcharlesmd

Recruit

Not much information to go on. What drive do you have. some details on the overheat. Does it overheat immediatly when you start it, or do you have to run it for a couple of hours before it happens.
Do you shut the engine off above idle? Does it diesel when you shut it off?
What is the full model number of your engine?

This time when the engine overheat alarm went off I shut the engine down immediately and it probably was above idle. The engine does not overheat right away. Sunday we cruised at different speeds for a couple of hours. We had lunch and were idleing home in a no wake zone. When we passed the no wake I increased the speed. 2 minutes after that the temp spiked. The time before that was just the opposite - I was cruising at 30mph and slowed when I approached a bridge. When I slowed the temp spiked.

Thalasso

Commander

I have heard or read on other sites that is or was a common problem with the 8.1 (overheating)
If your engine was hydrolocking i don't think you would be starting it for the cyl. woulkd be full of water