Removing Shift Cable End Guide on Alpha One

Drewmeister

Seaman
I am trying to remove the bell housing from my Alpha 1, after getting a complete transom seal kit. I took the hinge pins out and am trying to pull out the shift cable to remove the bellows. I have loosened (well actually removed) the two set screw holding the shift cable end guide on and loosened the jam nut, but STILL cannot pull the cable from the end guide. I guess the set screws were in too tight and scored the cable and now it will not slide out of the end guide housing. It will turn and move forward (a short distance), but will not come out. I DO NOT want to buy a new shift cable and have to feed it up to the engine. I have pulled and tugged at that end guide to no avail. Any thoughts? Please don't tell me to cut it...

FYI, I did find this thread and again, do not want to cut the cable. Mostly because I have to get this job done in the near term (have to move the boat soon) and can't wait several days for the parts.

If I do have to cut the cable and replace it, how hard is it to feed up through to the engine and secure to the engine?

Any info is appreciated!

Drew...

Drewmeister

Seaman
Re: Removing Shift Cable End Guide on Alpha One

One more thing, if I cut the end guide open, can they be purchased alone? That way I can do this job and just have to replace the end guide once I get it?

Drew...

Drewmeister

Seaman
Re: Removing Shift Cable End Guide on Alpha One

Never mind...got it. The solution I tried earlier this evening worked eventually, I was persistent. The hole between the mounting screw hole and the set screw holes allows you to see the end of the shift cable. I drove a nail through there to try and push the cable down and that worked. Only about an hour delay!!

Drew...