Proper speed with correct prop etc on Crownline 238 deck boat

Chet labrozzi

Seaman
Hello,

Looking for some advice on a Crownline 238 deck boat, 5.7 liter...Today the boat was empty , the lake was smooth so I wound it up..Top speed seems to be right around 37 miles per hour and the tach was holding right around 4200...

Seem right?

First year with this boat so im just wondering if thats about what these stock boats should turn and do?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper speed with correct prop etc on Crownline 238 deck boat

Can you give us a little more info? Propeller pitch? Year? Doesn't seem too far off, but we could zero in on it with a little more. Do you know the rating of the engine/drive combo? How'd you get the speed? GPS?

Chet labrozzi

Seaman

I don't know the pitch, havent had the prop up out of the water yet..I will in the fall once I pull it out for the season. It's a 1998 Crownline 238 deck boat. 5.7 liter 2 barrel carb, everything seems stock. The speed and rpm's are off of the dash gages so who knows if they are even close?

haulnazz15

Captain

It's probably close, I bet you may be going low 40's if you got a GPS and weren't going against any significant currents. You are at the lower end of the WOT rpm range, so you could probably re-prop if you wanted to get a little more top end. It might sacrifice some of the holeshot though. A 24' deckboat with 260HP isn't going to be breaking through 50mph, but low-to-mid 40's is likely in the range.

NYBo

Admiral

WOT should be between 4600 and 4800 RPM, so the motor isn't running right, you're over-propped, the hull is fouled, or some combination of these.