How about a Southern California Trailer Boating Club!

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DSC_1021[1].jpgDSC_1048[1].jpg015-a.jpgBack in the mid 70?s and early 80?s I belonged to the ?Valley Ho? Squadron of the United States Power Squadrons. We had a Group who were all Trailer Boaters and members of the USPS. The Group came from many Southern California based Squadrons.
We had about 8 or 10 overnight, Trailer Boat Cruises a year from a weekend to a week long per Cruise: Lake Powell, Lake Mead, San Diego, Catalina, Sacramento River Delta, Lake Havasu, Lake Mohave, Channel Islands. If we could get our boats there we went. Powell was so popular we had to break the cruise up into groups of 5 or 6 boats so we wouldn?t have traffic jams in the side canyons.
The Cruises were almost all overnighters with most of us sleeping on our boats, either in a Marina (Catalina, San Diego, etc.) or tied to a tree (the Delta, Colorado River Lakes) some brought tents and slept ashore. We usually had a BBQ on a beach. We all looked forward to the Cruises as great opportunities to enjoy our boats while getting together with good friends. My late Wife and I had to drop out when health problems made it impossible to participate. About 3 years ago my Wife Claire & I began using my boat and started cruising again. I?ve tried to locate the old group or a similar new one without success.
Soooo-, it occurred to me that if others have similar Trailer Boat Cruising interests, I?d like to get a Trailer Boating Group (Club) together with the purpose of having several planned overnight Cruises each year.
In July Claire & I joined the Northwest Cruising Club in Washington State so we could go on one of their Puget Sound Cruises. We enjoyed the fellowship, they shared their knowledge of the area and our Cruise was much better than if the two of us went there alone. However, a 2200 mile round trip makes it hard to do on a regular basis.
Therefore, if you have an interest in forming and participating in such a Group please email me with your Name, brief Boat description, Cruising interests, City, State. I?ll get you email address from your reply.
John Romano and Claire Brassine
Email: JohnnSandee@yahoo.com
Boat: 23 foot Dorsett Cabin Cruiser
Interests: Overnight Trailer Boat Cruises in California, the Delta and Colorado River including Lake Powell
Residence: Chatsworth, CA

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How about a Southern California Trailer Boating Club!

Hey John

My in-laws belonged to a So CA Power Squadron in the 70's and made the trips to Mead, San Diego, Long Beach and other places along the coast but they don't boat any more (in their 80's now). I don't know what squadron they were in either. I'll mention this when I see them. I'll ask my wife as well, she may remember.
We keep our boat at Mead (Temple Bar) and have a place there so we rarely even stay out on the lake anymore unless some houseboats we know from the marina are there with us. We used to houseboat there for about 20 years before we ended up dropping our anchor in T-Bar.
Good luck with the new club formation, could be a great new beginning. :cool: A friend is loaning me his cabin cruiser and we're heading to Catalina next weekend for Buccaneer Days at 2 Harbors. Haven't done that since '02! Do you guys ever make that trip?

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi 12V,
It's possible I've met them or Cruised with them. Those are the places my late Wife Sandee & I went to in the 70's. They were pretty well attended Cruises with people from all over the Greater LA area.
Please letme know what they say, either here or my email address is: JohnnSandee@yahoo.com
Happy Cruising,
John

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I just checked with the wife..they belonged to the Covina Squadron and had a 24'(?) Starcraft

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Careful John, posting personal emails is a no-no and will probably get your thread edited by the mods

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just checked with the wife..they belonged to the Covina Squadron and had a 24'(?) Starcraft
Could be we went Cruising together.