1985 115hp Johnson alarm?

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
We were heading out on the lake yesterday cruising at about 5200rpm and the alarm went off. I shut the motor off, took the cowl off and the motor was only warm. Fired it back up, the stream was cool. Everything on the motor was warm, but not hot. Waited a couple of minutes, fired it up took off and it did the same thing. Everything was as previously mentioned. On my remote is says that a steady beep without loss of power is a fuel restriction, but in my manual it says the only alarm is an overheat. Now I am confused and don't know where to start.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1985 115hp Johnson alarm?

Unhook the tan wires st the temp sensors and start your motor in a tank or on the muffs and see if you still get an alarm; if you do you have a short to ground on one of the wires; could be insulation rubbed thru and touching the block. worst case could be malfunctioning sensor if engine is not overheating. Good luck

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 115hp Johnson alarm?

Fed is correct. The fuel warning vacuum switch came out in 1984 with the VRO pumps and was only installed on the V6 models. If your horn is constant, it's an overheat warning. If intermittent, it is related to the VRO system.