hesitation at high rpm

sonus

Seaman Apprentice
Got rid of the drive noise I wrote in about.Seems I needed a little oil.Hope there is no lasting damage, but it seemed fine.Took a ride this weekend and the boat ran fine at all speeds for about 45 minutes.After that it started to hesitate at high RPM's. At 3500, it was fine but at 4000 it would quickly lose power and drop to 3000 and then surge back up to 4000 and continue to do this erratically.Does this seem like a fuel or ignition problem?I just changed the plugs but nothing else,the boat is new to me.Thanks in advance for any help!

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: hesitation at high rpm

What motor and drive? Always try to post that when you ask a question about your boat, we can't see it from here. It sounds like fuel though.

Bondo

Staff member

It sounds like fuel though.
Ayuh,.............<br />I'd Change the Filter,+ Inspect the the Take-Offs for water contamination........

sonus

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry. Its 84 Volvo AQ200D with 2 bbl Rochester and 280 drive.Bought the boat in October and ran it only breifly at that time and then put it away for the winter.IT had 80 gallons of gas in it when I got it and I topped it of with 20 gallons of 89 octane and some stabilizer.I dont know how long the old gas was sitting but the boat was used last year as far as I know.I changed both the large and small fuel filters and engine and drive oil in October.I plan on installing a racor seperator as soon as I can. The problem only started after 45 minutes of run time. Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member

Even with the added Info,........<br /><br />My Suggestion is the Same.............<br /><br />"Ayuh,.............<br />I'd Change the Filter,+ Inspect the the Take-Offs for water contamination "........<br /><br />Good Luck........

joshandsteve

Recruit

I have a 1994 Four Winns with an omc 3.0 gs and I had the same problem. The boat is new to me and the first time out it ran great for about 45 min. after that it started losing power after any more than 60% throttle. Since then I've changed the oil, the plugs, cap, rotor, fuel pump, and a new carb. and still have the same problem. any advise??

sonus

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bondo. Your advice is much appreciated. By take-offs I think you mean the larger of the two filters,the one with the spin off canister,but how do I inspect for water contamination-what am I looking for?If the take-offs check out ok,what's the next thing to check? The boat is out at the family summer shack so I have only weekends to work on the boat but I have fairly good access to parts.Thanks

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

posted by sonus <br /><br />By take-offs I think you mean the larger of the two filters,the one with the spin off canister
Take-offs are the filter/filters that you,....well TOOK-OFF.<br /><br />
also posted by sonus<br /><br />but how do I inspect for water contamination-what am I looking for?
Pour the contents of filter/filters into a pan and see what was in them.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

It could be the vent for the gas tank that is plugged. When it starts acting up carefully remove the gas cap to see if that clears the problem. You will hear suction when you loosen the cap if it is the problem.