1982 Johnson 50 HP not pumping water WHY? WHY? WHY?

kayakndave

Seaman Apprentice
As you can tell, I am beyond frustrated. Just bought this outboard, and overall it is very clean, and seems to have been well cared for. Rebulit carbs and installed new water pump kit with housing and all. Made sure all lines / tubes were clear by blowing with compressed air. Trying to line up the pick up tube while reinstalling the lower unit was a S.O.B. but confirmed that the tube is going down into the pump housing. Start her up, runs good, but NO WATER FROM PEE HOLE! Shut it down before she got too hot. Don't see a thermostat anywhere. Drop lower unit, check it all again, nothing unusual found. The only thing I can think of would be the top end of the pick up tube, but how in the hell do you check that? Do I have to tear down the motor? Any help greatly appreciated!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1982 Johnson 50 HP not pumping water WHY? WHY? WHY?

Couple of thoughts, is the tell-tale plugged? You can attach a water hose to the water pick up tube, turn on the hose and see if the water is circulating. You can submerge the lower unit in a barrel of water and spin the drive shaft ( I use a 1/2" drill) and see if it is pumping. Look below at item #12 is your thermostat.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...rer=Evinrude&section=Cylinder+&+Crankcase

kayakndave

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Daviet, good advice. Got it pumping! I noticed that when I turned on the water and started the engine, the excess that sprayed out around the muffs disappeared - indicating to me that it was indeed pumping. I did make sure all lines, fittings were clear. Shut it down, came in for lunch and when I started it after about 20 secs. I had a nice solid stream coming from the discharge! Don't know, maybe it took awhile to prime. Anyway, pumping good now - been runnning it for the last two days. Thanks for the input!

Haffiman

Commander

Muffs and testing of water pump functions have never been a good combination!!
Muffs for flushing engine, all other tests in a drum with water level well above the pump.