MC165 into MC200! How hard is this, REALLY?

rpeter46

Seaman Apprentice
All,
Allright, many of you have the deadnuts, super-reliable, torquey, but PERFOMANCE-PROOF(in marine form) 250CI, inline 6, stovebolt chevy MC165. Some of you know that the same motor came in another version- the venerable 292, and Mercruiser made it available for a single year in 1969. I would like to discuss the how, why, and why nots of why it died, and whether someone can successfully upgrade their boat to up the performance!
Here's a few things to be aware of:
1- in the automotive world, many people have "bolted up" a 292 to whatever transmission they previously ran.
2- the block is nearly identical-except taller, and a slightly different front mount.
3- the original outdrive/exhaust setup is all NLA or just not practical, so let's just avoid that altogether.

The questions:
1- does anyone have "official" information on why Mercruiser ditched this setup? Sure wasn't around long.
2- MC200 was equipped with the "2" drive- would a Alpha I, Gen I stand up to the 200 hp of the 292?
3- for conversations sake, let's talk about my Somerset 17.5 bowrider with a 165. It has a 1 drive, but we can bolt up an Alpha 1 to it, what stands in the way of converting it?

I would like to find knowledgeable information that would lead to a SOLUTION to make it happen! Not just naysaying. This topic floats around on many forums, and I KNOW there's enough know-how here to make it possible!

I hope that some of you 165 die-hards can jump in and contribute! I don't know enough to make this happen-yet!

Paul

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: MC165 into MC200! How hard is this, REALLY?

I have a thread on this but too lazy to search myself. Search my username.

I have access to a 292, but only for a limited time. There is no way to keep your front motor mount. Everything else CAN be done. I just do not want to fiberglass work.

rpeter46

Seaman Apprentice

Posted by Kilowatt in another thread:

Hi Guys:

If I might make a few comments with regard to the elusive 292! I've been wanting to bolt up a 292 for some time now and I'm convinced it's easily done. I think the issues are:

(i) Height of new block and clearance issues both for the boat and the electrical harness
(ii) Height of block and exhaust pipe extension required
(iii) Lack of "ears" on the new block for motor mount
(iv) Different motor mount placement
(v) Suitability of a pre-alpha water pump to supply enough cold water to the system
(vi) The 292 uses a lot of gas

I think the issues are easily solved but the last 2 are what's kept me from going forward. I'm so happy with my L6 250cu in 165 as I feel it's ideally matched to my boat that I can't quite see the utility at this time. I don't want to spend more money on gas, for obvious reasons, and I'm not sure the impeller will provide adequate water flow to cool the bigger block. It would be nice to have the "bigger six" though!

from Rpeter46:
I hope maybe Ziggy can chime in here, too!

rpeter46

Seaman Apprentice

Ford,
Ahh! I see it now. No final resolution, though. I think you owe it to the forum to make the switch. (I say that hoping you will do it, and I won't have to!) How much would it take to get the 292 you mentioned? Is it available for anyone? I would be VERY interested...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$300 pickup only.

I have no provisions to do it over the winter. I have no place to do the work, that is the ONLY reason I won;t do it.

Bondo

Staff member

It would be nice to have the "bigger six" though!

Ayuh,... Swap in a 4.3l... ;)

haulnazz15

Captain

The Alpha I raw water pickup seems to work just fine for the 350/351 V8's, much less the 454 that used it for a brief period of time, I wouldn't imagine cooling capacity is a concern. I do agree that the 4.3L would probably be a better swap if you're going to bother at all, though.

rpeter46

Seaman Apprentice

Fordiesel- The money is not an issue. Getting it from there to Michigan is a bigger problem...

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

For my purpose my previous post quoted by rpeter46 is about all I can think of! As I've recently purchased 2 inline sixes, I have the intention of rebuilding them and posting step by step for this forum. Sadly, I seem to be getting busier as time goes by so it may take a while. I have a policy of paying no more than $200.00 for a used fully dressed motor and preferably less, so when I find a 292 I'll decide what to do then. I have no idea why Mercruiser discontinued their use of the 292 or the Vazer for that matter. I thought they were both great engines. I don't remember being consulted though!

kilowatts