Fuel Pump / 2000 Tige 21v

Ventura 6.8

Recruit
Looking for a little help on this guys.
I recently picked up this 2000 21v w/Merc.350 Mag. which ran fine when I test drove it. Now I am having fuel supply issues to the engine...Like none, nada, non-existent.This all started after I did a bilge and engine bay clean out after I brought it home from where I bought it.I hosed out all the pet hair, leaves, slime, and bilge spooge and sucked out the residual debris with a shop vac.(some people have no respect for their investment)...but the hosing out shouldn't have caused the fuel pump to malfunction should it? Getting things wet on an engine should be a pretty common occurrence on this boat...right?
Has anyone ever had to replace a fuel pump on the Mercrusier 350 Mag in a Tige V-drive?Or any Mercruiser 350 V-drive?
It is tucked down on the back side of the engine with a protective plastic cover over it. It seems virtually impossible to remove the plastic cover alone without breaking it let alone the fuel pump.I am in the process of testing the pump before I decide to replace it. Any type of advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel Pump / 2000 Tige 21v

Has anyone ever had to replace a fuel pump on the Mercrusier 350 Mag in a Tige V-drive?Or any Mercruiser 350 V-drive?
It is tucked down on the back side of the engine with a protective plastic cover over it. It seems virtually impossible to remove the plastic cover alone without breaking it let alone the fuel pump.I am in the process of testing the pump before I decide to replace it. Any type of advice would be appreciated.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
It must be an Efi, as that's the Cool Fuel Module...
Pull the whole thing out to work on it...

'course, sometimes the motor has ta come out 1st...

Ventura 6.8

Recruit

Yes...it's the EFI model. I just talked to a mechanic at a Tige dealer and he suggested removing the plastic cover (if possible...virtually no room down there)and lightly tapping on the fuel pump to see if it starts up(like banging on the dash of my grandfathers Plymouth Valiant to get the radio to play.) Also check to see if there is power going to the pump at the connector. And the last step...prior to removing the fuel pump/motor removal...hot wire the pump with 12 volts to see it it runs. Does this all sound like viable steps to resolving the problem?

Ventura 6.8

Recruit

This was copied and pasted from the Tigeowners.com forum.

Thanks for all the input on this issue guys. I went through the process of checking the power to the pump and ...Yes there was power to the pump. Next I supplied power to the pump with a 12 volt power supply and all it did was make a slight noise like it was trying to work. So I determined that the pump was not working and decided to replace it. Prices varied on the internet from $334-$450. I found the fuel pump/cooler at a local marina and worked out a deal with them for $350($372)with tx. I returned to my garage and reassembled the unit which comes in 2 pieces with a bag of o-rings and the necessary fittings.I had the new unit back in place and secured in about an hour and a half. I kept my fingers crossed when I turned the key listening for the fuel pump to cycle on and...BAMM !!...there it was. The buzz of the fuel pump as the ignition was turned on. I primed the throttle body with some fresh gas and turned the engine over and it fired right up. Awesome...I was back in business.
The biggest problem I ran into here is that the "Cool Fuel" fuel pump/cooler is tucked way down under the motor and is hard to access. I am 6'-215lbs and I found myself lying on the floor of the engine compartment with my legs stretched out up under the seating area.Once I knew what tools to bring with me I stayed there until I had the unit out. By that time my left leg was going numb but I got it out.Getting the cooling line hoses off the pump unit was the toughest part since they were original and had to be pried off with long flat head screw drivers.It seem as though the factory may use some sort of adhesive to secure those rubber hoses at the factory.I did have to replace one of the hoses due to damage in the removal process.The reinstall went much quicker as to be expected.
All in all the entire process cost me about $405 in parts(fuel pump/cooler kit, 1- cooling hose) not in including my labor of course. There is also another benefit attained from doing this repair myself other than saving some green...and that is... now I have an intimate relationship and more knowledge of my Tige's engine, the floor of the engine compartment and the bilge area of my boat, since I was down there I did do some upclose and personal cleaning of the bilge area...why not? And of course the satisfaction of completing this project with only the input of people on this forum and a couple of calls to Tige boat dealers service people.
Thanks to you all.