Briggs and Stratton 5 hp outboard will not shift to forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMoors

Cadet
I just bought this motor off of craigs list and had the guy start it up and the engine ran fine. He said he only used it one weekend and had no problems. So bought it got it home and the motor will go from neutral to reverse but not to the forward position. I have not tried this while running. I live in an apartment complex and they wouldn't like me to run it on the patio. I plan on taking it to my in-laws and trying it there. Has anyone had this problem. It just will not physically move to forward.

Thanks,
John

M

mrcrabs

Re: Briggs and Stratton 5 hp outboard will not shift to forward

change that engine oil over to synthetic first chance you get, SAE 30 is just about only good for a short breakin run, use castrol 10-30 or mobil 1, 5-30....give a little pull on your starter rope while you wiggle the shifter and see if it will go into forward.

Mobil 1 synthetic the choice of Briggs and Stratton 4 cycle owners world wide :D

fucawi

Banned

Think I said that....yes I did but someone deleted it ....and SAE 30 is the recomended oil ..many a Briggs and stratton has failed due to not using the SAE 30 oil. If you start it out the water you will find it will miss if you rev it up ..thats just the reve limiter comming in at 4000 rpm ..fine on the water at 3800. Also pump the primer each time you start it .it wil not start in F or R as you cannot spin it fast enough....If you lay it down put it plug up or the sump oil gets into the head and you will have a very hard job to start it ......

Now lets see if that has offended any sensitive people .....

M

mrcrabs

go get you briggs book and and show me the heat range SAE 30 will run in, then look what it says about synth??? I guess my lawnmowers are all sick....I mow 2 acres every week, never lost a B&S yet...and mine don't burn oil or have sticky rings, all on mobil 1 0-40.....your wasting my time youngster

fucawi

Banned

What an offensive and easily upset person you are ..let the OP make up his own mind..ps its not a mower unless its a weed mower !!!!

Relax its Queenland it never goes below 20 deg C here.....are you still using that old F stuff ...Doh....

Attachments

• 0F9357532AC946F5B1F09BE231073F95.jpg
    0F9357532AC946F5B1F09BE231073F95.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
M

mrcrabs

let the OP make up his own mind
Leave me alone...you have already ruined yourself here with me and anyone who read the racist posts you made that were deleted by the admin, I know what I'm talking about and I'm trying to offer sound advice to this member.

M

mrcrabs

I loves my 540 bimmer...when I drives through the hood I gets the respect fo sho

you can edit all you want but it don't make what you said any kind of right, and BMW...are you listin to me son?? I say son that stands for "Big Mommas Wagon" :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Enough, already.

Rule #3. Disagreements on any topic must be conducted in a polite manner using courteous language.

Status
Not open for further replies.