Rev-limiter at 5550 rpm every time?

underepair

Recruit
First time member & first post, my problem started when i installed an 8 in jack plate on my 1994 Stratos 285 pro xl 18ft with a VRO system "still in operation" 150 fast strike and a 24 pitch raker. i dialed in the jack plate fairly close i think. But now when i run out to exactley 5550 RPM on my tach, "no gps check on mph" and speedo is not working correctly" the engine feels like it lost 3 cyl's and i have to shut off the engine to clear out the problem. i can run all day at 5500 or less and the motor idles & runes fine. your thoughts would be much appreciated. thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rev-limiter at 5550 rpm every time?

A 24" pitch prop is pretty tall. Have you had better performance with it, prior to installation of the Jackplate? Sometimes the lift of the jackplate has the side effect of limiting the amount of trim you can use. It can therefore reduce performance. You probably need to make some GPS and RPM-monitored runs to achieve max performance.

One other thought, does motor overheat and have SLOW system kill spark to 3 cylinders? This would happen if motor is so high on transom that cooling water is interrupted to motor.

underepair

Recruit

my first bass boat I bought it a few yrs back, a 2nd owner boat, came with prop listed. tach peak was much lower before, around 3500. first try at increasing rpm with jack plate at friends recommendation. always did changed plugs every year, replaced with OE recommended plugs. a little slow on hole shot still. but feels much faster now.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If I remember right the rev limiter on your mtr cuts in at 6200 RPM.

underepair

Recruit

Water flow guage stays in the middle, never went to 0 psi. will hit the water with timing tight, tach, temp laser, after I run a basic comp. test so I will have base line info to go off of. will return when i have some numbers that might be of some help to repair my boat. Thank you for the ideas to run with.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I think you are simply overpropped. Can you try a 22P prop?

Haffiman

Commander

Might it be the fuel vacuum switch?

underepair

Recruit

Yes I can get my hands on a 22P. will try this weekend.
Might it be the fuel vacuum switch? - will pull out manual to find and test.