Leaf spring band-aid? - 6 People Didn't Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
I never use my trailer. I don't maintain it with any regularity, nor do I care. Now, with that said, and the willing acceptance to be bashed because of it, I need some help. :D

I need to move the trailer about 2 miles with the boat on it (it's on it now). It's a tandem trailer, and the rear spring on the port/driver's side broke when we pulled the boat out for some repairs. Now I just need to get the boat back in the water, and then I will replace the springs (all 4 of them look like they've been in Davey Jones' locker for a few lifetimes). In the meantime, just need to know what kind of emergency band-aid can be done for the short trip? Replacing the spring with the boat on it is not a viable option at this time.

Thanks!

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Leaf spring band-aid?

SINGLE LEAF OR MULTI LEAF (2or more) single leaf , your out of luck . multi leaf , maybe "limp" boat to water with another vehicle behind you with flashers on so people who come up behind might not run over you

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I'll take some of the bashing with you.
I have pulled a loaded trailer with a busted leaf over 30 miles to get home. Slowly.
If the boat is not hitting the trailer and the axle is firmly attached, and you can go slow the two miles to the ramp, then go for it.
If you are endangering others in any way, then just don't do it. Jack the trailer up by the frame and use jack stands to get all of the wheels off of the ground, then replace the spring.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I guess it would be a multi-leaf. There are 4 leafs on each spring.

The boat doesn't hit the trailer. but I'm pretty sure the axle will move backwards once underway. I'm thinking of some type of strapping or soething that will keep it from moving too much.

I'll go take some pics and post them in a minute.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Here's some pics. 1st is what I fond on the lawn after we brought the boat home (it was found on the side of the house where I store the trailer, so I think we hauled the boat home without it). 2nd is the spring in question. 3rd is the position of the wheels after backing it into the driveway (front of the trailer is to the left).

View attachment 113164

View attachment 113165

View attachment 113166

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:facepalm: picts arent showing up

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

:facepalm: picts arent showing up
Thanks.

PICT1670.jpg

PICT1669.jpg

PICT1667.jpg

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Put a 4x4 or 6x6 piece of wood between the axle and the frame of the trailer. Chain it down with a couple of ratchet straps for extra support. Of course drive slowly...lol

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

jack up the trailer.... put a wood block between the frame and the OTHER axle on the side of the broken spring.... remove the tire/wheel on the axle with the broken spring and chain that axle as close to the frame as possible.... now SLOWLY (10 mph) haul your 3 wheel trailer to the ramp and dump the boat in the water

FLATHEAD MAC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking at rusted bolt you may want to just jack her up and fix at home, not sure how long you'd want to leave your boat at ramp while fixing trailer , but as had been suggested BE CAREFUL:eek:

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

looking at rusted bolt you may want to just jack her up and fix at home, not sure how long you'd want to leave your boat at ramp while fixing trailer , but as had been suggested BE CAREFUL:eek:

Once the boat is off the trailer, it goes for a 10 minute ride home to it's lift. I figure moving the trailer back home empty won't be much of an issue. Ten, I can fix it properly at my leisure. Don't plan on needing to pull the boat out until next winter (2012). It's Florida, and there's fishing in winter.

Put a 4x4 or 6x6 piece of wood between the axle and the frame of the trailer. Chain it down with a couple of ratchet straps for extra support. Of course drive slowly...lol

That seems easy enough, and logistically possible.

jack up the trailer.... put a wood block between the frame and the OTHER axle on the side of the broken spring.... remove the tire/wheel on the axle with the broken spring and chain that axle as close to the frame as possible.... now SLOWLY (10 mph) haul your 3 wheel trailer to the ramp and dump the boat in the water

Hmmm... sounds like an episode of "Hold my beer, and watch this!" My neighbor, who will be doing the hauling as I don't own a truck, might have issues with this, more then the strapped axle.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it looks like the u bolts are gone. is the axle even attached to the spring. if not i wouldn't tow it.if the bolts are gone, get new ones and the plate, jack the trailer at the rear of the frame till the weight shifts the equlizer back out. then put spring back in and bolt it up. just a thought.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The boat being on the trailer has little to nothing to do with replacing the springs. Jack up the side you are working on and replace what needs repacing. When trucks have a flat tire they don't empty the truck to change the tire. Same applies here. If the work would have been done somewhere else then that would present an issue but since you are making this trip not once, but twice, it makes sense to fix it then splash the boat.

Rick.

Captain

I agree, fix it now. You just have to wonder what condition the rest of the suspension components are in. You could be headed for a real bad trip. Best of luck. Rick.

chriscraft254

Commander

Look like the spring clamps broke. I agree that its not worth the risk, but, that being said, you should be able to jack up the spring until it is meshed with the other ones and then use u-bolts to hold them together. By the cheap u-bolts that will rust so they match the springs. Sorry, couldn't resist. :facepalm:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Fix it now. Not worth the risk and there is no reason you can't fix that with the boat on the trailer.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have driven cars with broken leaf springs. Did I die??? NO. Was it smart? NO Was it dangerous to myself and those around me? YES!
Take the time, money, lose a day fishing and fix it now and be safe. A bandaid is just a bandaid. It might get you there and back or it might leave you stranded (or worse). A day on the water isn't worth putting anyone at risk (especially since your neighbor is doing you a favor by towing it. Make sure it's as trouble free a trip for him as you can).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Hmmm... sounds like an episode of "Hold my beer, and watch this!" My neighbor, who will be doing the hauling as I don't own a truck, might have issues with this, more then the strapped axle.

ACTUALLY your whole plan of moving it without fixing it is the episode of "hold my beer and watch this"

I simply offered a way to minimize the danger while doing it..... The only correct ways to do it though are to fix the trailer, move the boat to another trailer, or hire a rollback to move the whole rig to the ramp.....

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

The smart thing to do is fix that trailer right where it sits at this moment.

The stupid thing to do is to travel with the axle in the condition it's in. You're jeopardizing other people's safety by being negligent with the trailer maintenance. That trailer, as it sits, is not road worthy at all and is an accident waiting to happen.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I also agree with fixing it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.