All downriggers users I need some advise

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I think all us of starcraft guys are on budgets and none of us on an unlimited one.
So I need some advise for those who have downriggers.

I have a pair of walker, manual, with swivel bases. Purchased 6 yrs ago and one started malfunctioning on my last fishing trip. I might be able to fix, but have not pulled it apart yet.

My question is what types and styles of down riggers do you guys use and would you buy them again?

I will stick with manual down riggers since electric is too expensive.

I would not buy walkers again since they did not hold up real well and the pully at the end coils the stainless steel line after some extended use causing the cable to break strands. They need a larger roller nose.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: All downriggers users I need some advise

I have used Cannon and Pen manual downriggers they work well . If you ever fish with a electric you will never go back to manual lift . I use Scotty (long beam) and love them Made in Victoria Canada If you want info go to the mfg. website by name.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I have the Cannon Uni troll (I think) The one step above middle. I like them, and the only problem I've really had is wanting a swivel base. I replaced the cable once, to get a longer one on, 300 feet now, and the depth gauge reads the same as on my reels so that's nice. You can put different ends on if there is a problem there. And I used to tangle the lines, or get the cable off the pulley, until I learned to let them out slow. I keep my hand on the downrigger spool and the fishing real spool so it doesn't just take off. I usually have problems then. I agree with the electric being too spendy. You also need them hooked into a depth finder to follow the bottom, and they also seem to be the ones always hung up on bottom. I think you would like yours better if you gave me the swivel bases.

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't own any, but I will as soon as I can afford to. I think I'm going to save up till I can afford electric.

I've been on a boat with downriggers once. My wife chartered a boat on Superior for a day of our honeymoon. I begged the Captain to let me work the downriggers. Cannon electric. Very nice and very expensive - he had six of them :eek: He was very specific about thumbing the spool on the reels as the ball went down. If I recall correctly, the electric motor controlled the speed of the descent so I think the thumb on the reel was just about keeping proper tension on the spool itself so it wouldn't get loose on the way down and then backlash when a fish hit. And a lot of fish hit that day.

I think that was the day I sub-consciously started shopping for my Islander. I knew I couldn't rest until I could do this again from my own boat.

5413_1135766393077_1194853121_30414594_5602158_n.jpg

5413_1135769593157_1194853121_30414607_5208240_n.jpg

chriscraft254

Commander

I have a set of Penn 600 downriggers that I have used for 25 years, they still work perfectly. That being said, I don't use them all the time.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here is what I picked up, Big Jon Captain's Pak electric...
P1010986.jpg

With the swivels...
P1010992.jpg

And rod holders...
P1010995.jpg

I can't say much about em as they aren't even mounted yet. But they have a good reputation around the Great Lakes. I got them very reasonably as they are used, no way I could afford new gear. This stuff is ridiculous $$ off the shelf.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've used Penn manual riggers since the late 80s, great quality and hardly any issues.

We did replace a spring on one of them once, they get my vote for reliability.

If you are fishing deeper than 100ft then you will want electric probably.

Penn, Walker and Big John are the three best in my opinion.

I don't see many Scotty riggers around here.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys for the input. I will keep this info in mind when I look for new downriggers.
However I tore the old ones apart last night (one that worked and the one that broke) I found the problem.
the Bushing was glued into the housing and the bushing came un glued which allowed the bushing to rotate and cause the downrigger not to lock in place after the clutch was tightnened.

So being on a budget I can fix by glueing the bushing back into the housing and get by for a few more years.

I do plan on replacing these in the future will probably start keeping my eye on ebay, craigs list, and yard sales to start with.

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cannons if you can afford'em. Quickest, auto stop, lifts up to 18lb balls no prob. Built like tanks!

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

I would not buy walkers again since they did not hold up real well and the pully at the end coils the stainless steel line after some extended use causing the cable to break strands. They need a larger roller nose.

Can you switch to braid line? I'm using 150lb power pro braid on one set of scotty electrics and 250lb scotty braid on the new scotty HP electric downrigger.
Way better than ss line. No more problems with rust and frays.
West coast seems to be Cannon or Scotty for fishing in the ocean.
Parts here in Canada for Scotty are everywhere including gas docks and fishing lodges.
Lifetime warranty on everything except the line. I used manual for many years until I bucked up and bought new electrics. I fish deep (200ft) so no my arm and shoulder are saved to fight the fish. Heard Cannon were even better than Scotty but we don't see them to often around here. Used electric DR come up on clist from time to time so best to watch for them. Prices seem to be around 200 to 250 each used.
GLG

mark942

Seaman

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Local Pawn shop has two Penn electric downriggers for sale Penn 800;s $ 250 each . He has had them for sale for a couple months Pugetsound in Mt Vernon Wa.