Help mercuriser pre alpha r drive

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi i have a 1975 mercruiser peralpha r drive. I just bought the drive, when i got the drive i pressure tested the drive and it passed then i took the drive apart replaced the water impeller. (At that time i should of pressure tested the drive again and i did not). I filled the drive with fresh gear lube and i took the boat out with no problems. The boat sat in my driveway for a few days and i noticed a very small leak where the drive mounts together. I tightened the drive and the leak stopped. So i pressure tested the drive again and the drive dose not hold pressure at all. All the pressure is coming out the prop. Could this be because of the water impeller or a seal down by the prop?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help mercuriser pre alpha r drive

where the drive goes together(upper to lower) is a small O ring seal called a "quad seal". forget that and it will leak.It seals the oil passage between the units.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pressure test it again, and get some soapy water in a spray bottle to find the leak.
You may have to remove the lower and the water pump housing to find the oil leak.

One other thing, Did you install the quad ring that goes between the upper and lower housings around the oil passage between the two?

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought i did but it could of fallen out. I just pressure tested the drive and all the air is coming out around the prop. If the gasket your talking about fell out would that let air come out through the prop?

Don S

It's possible.

floridaboater1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you so much you were both on the money. Now is that quad seal a gasket or a oring?

Don S

Go to your local Mercruiser dealer, to order one, the freight would cost you many times more than the part. For that matter, any good sized boat shop probably has them in stock for 50 cents.
It's not an oring, the cross section of the ring is square, thus the name quad ring.

Iboats has em...

http://www.iboats.com/Seal-Ring-Gas...4798356--**********.217146897--view_id.173229

$2.99 for a pack of 2

Shipping to you in FL is below:

UPS Ground 5 days - Friday, Sep. 16 $9.21
UPS 3 Day Select 4 days - Thursday, Sep. 15 $16.04
UPS 2nd Day Air 3 days - Wednesday, Sep. 14 $22.02
UPS Next Day Air Saver 2 days - Tuesday, Sep. 13 $46.58
UPS Next Day Air 2 days - Tuesday, Sep. 13 $50.77
U.S.P.S. First-Class Mail 9 days - Tuesday, Sep. 20 $2.67
U.S.P.S. Priority Mail 9 days - Tuesday, Sep. 20 $5.90