Chrysler Economate 3.5 runs only at half-choke

economate2

Seaman Apprentice
Model # is 32H0D

I fixed it up this summer and had it running flawlessly for a while. Then started having problems again. Here is the symptom:

Have to crank about 5-6 times to get it started. Starts only at full choke (air valve closed). As soon as it fires, I have to open it to half-choke. Usually right after that, I would close the choke (air valve fully opened) and it would run great. Lately after running it for 10 minutes or so, it would start dieing on me, and I'd have to choke it and unchoke it quickly to get it going again. And this would happen more and more frequently. Lower RPM's work without having to do that. Now, it does not run with the choke off at all! Choke has to be half-way in for it to run. As soon as I open it fully, it dies, and the same thing when I close it fully.

What's the problem?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler Economate 3.5 runs only at half-choke

This the one with the self contained tank? Any rust and gunk in the tank?Clean the carb ?
The low speed jet clogged?

economate2

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah it has the self contained tank. The tank does have some rust in in it. I have an in-line fuel filter though, and I've changed it, without getting rid of the problem.

I didn't take the whole carb apart again since this problem began, but I've taken the bowl off, and let the gas run through it all to eliminate any superficial dirt particles that might have gotten in.

Could it possibly be that there's water in the fuel? I would think that water would just make it run roughly and suddenly kill the engine no matter where the choke is.

Haven't checked the low speed jet. Where is that?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

6.jpgThis might not be quit like your carb.#23/#16 Start with the carb.Take it apart and make sure there are no particals in the jets.No cloggs in the ports.A partical the size of a pin point can stop a motor from running.One time I cleaned a carb three times before it finnaly got all the crud out and it ran right.
The air screw.#32 I think.Turn it in to the bottom and out 1 full turn.That's the base setting.Then after it warms in till it stutters/coughs or stalls then out 1/2 turn.
The screw should be smooth and tapered to a point.Any grooves in it will cause it to run rough.

economate2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks.

The picture that you attached is very small though. I can't tell which is part # is which.

Now which setting is correct?! I've read that 1.5 turns out is the default. You say 1 turn. Is 1.5 turns the standard that should work, and doing it your way based off 1 turn the precise way to figure out the most efficient position?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can start with 1 turn out or 1 and 1/2 out.I just start 1 out.It seems to start easier.
boats.net 3.5hp early 80s model.J