7.4 Merc Water in Oil

dmmagnus

Recruit
My 1988 7.4 Mercruiser seemed fine the first day out this summer, but the second day began stalling and bogging down. I looked at the engine and found oil / water mix was around the crankcase breathers. Pulled the dipstick and water definitely in the oil. My problem is that I've disassembled the top of the engine and still can't find a problem. Head gaskets show no obvious indication of a breach. No visible cracks in heads or in the lifter valley. Along the way, while the heads were still on but the intake was off, I blocked off the water ports in the heads and connected the garden hose to the seawater intake and the block began filling with water rapidly. I am near certain now that the block must be damaged but I thought if this were the case I'd be able to see something from above with the intake and heads off. What are the possibilities? From my garden hose test I think I can rule out the head gaskets as it filled very quickly. I have also verified that the oil / power steering cooler is not the culprit with a pressure test. I winterize every year myeself, step by step by the book. One other symptom was that there seemed on day two that there may have been some partial hydraulic lock in as the starter struggled to turn the engine over during some starts.

cr2k

Captain
Re: 7.4 Merc Water in Oil

Maybe behind the circulation pump?

Bondo

Staff member

I am near certain now that the block must be damaged but I thought if this were the case I'd be able to see something from above with the intake and heads off.

Ayuh,... My guess is, after ya pull the motor, flip it over, 'n pull the base,...
You'll see the cracks along the insides of the crankcase, opposite the drain plugs...

I bet yer winterization technique don't include Draining everything 1st,..??

dmmagnus

Recruit

As per the SeaRay manual. Open drains, clear clogs as needed, remove and dump hoses, etc. etc. Worked out fine the first 6 years with this boat. Must have had some trapped in there this time though.

dollarten

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As per the SeaRay manual. Open drains, clear clogs as needed, remove and dump hoses, etc. etc. Worked out fine the first 6 years with this boat. Must have had some trapped in there this time though.[/QUOTE Some times the blocks on these engines just give out due to the tremendous strain that these engines have to endure . Add a core shift situation when the block was foundried and you could have a thin spot by the main bearing web area and a water jacket will crack near a high stress point and water will start pouring in at that point

dmmagnus

Recruit

Thanks much for input. Well the oil cooler was really my last hope for a simple fix. Looks like there is no avoiding a short block change out. I'll post findings once I've done the deed. Any advice for a first timer swapping out a Mercruiser big block? Plenty of cars under the belt but no boats yet. Gonna need to study up a bit.

Bondo

Staff member

Any advice for a first timer swapping out a Mercruiser big block? Plenty of cars under the belt but no boats yet. Gonna need to study up a bit.

Ayuh,... pull the drive, then the motor...

oops!

Supreme Mariner

after the block is out.......have the exhaust manifolds pressure tested.....i dont like the hard turning over statement.....possible water intrusion from them. but not the main problem