All of a sudden

dedo

Recruit
I enjoyed a nice fishing trip without any motor hickup or concern. When I arrived back to the house I wanted to run fresh water through the engine, it would not turn over. The battery became too weak. I pulled the battery and had it tested(good) and charged. It started right away.

1990 48hp Evinrude SPL. Could it be that a 4 month old battery needed fluid added and a recharge?

Or, is there a motor component that is not charging the battery?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: All of a sudden

It could be one or both, or neither. We need more info.

How many starts and stops during the trip, do you have a trolling motor on the same battery, fish finder, radio or anything else? What size is the battery? IS it a marine deep-cycle battery, marine-starting battery, automotive battery, etc?

JBooth

Cadet

If you run your boat a lot it probably just needed fluid. If not it is a 21 year old motor, so the alternator could have a problem. Hope this helped.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

A 4 month old battery should not need water added after a simple recharge or two. In fact, batteries that are on constant trickle charge from shore power (like mine) only require checking levels every 3-4 months or so. I add a bit of distilled water approximately every 8 months...so yours should not need it, unless it's leaking.

Check the charging system on your engine first. Also, if you motor just a short distance to fish, the engine doesn't have sufficient time to recharge your battery on the return trip (fishfinder and radio all day with a 10 minute ride back to the dock). Check your charging system first.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your charging system is overcharging it could boil the water out on long runs. Have it checked for sure.