1978 johnson 85hp no spark on one bank

clemsonteg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So today at the lake i couldnt get more than 2500 rpm. I put my inline spark tester on and found that the 2 cylinders on the drivers side arent firing. I have 4 new coils because the old ones were falling apart. Is this as simple as the power pack on that side has gone out. I was looking at the troubleshooting guide and I'm confused because it says to swap the packs and if the problem moves to replace the working pack but if the problem moves doesn't that just prove the non working one really isn't working or am I not understanding something?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 johnson 85hp no spark on one bank

Sounds to me that something got confused either in the writing or the reading/comprehension. Not pointing at anyone but it's pure logic which power pack needs to be replaced... the one that doesn't produce spark...

clemsonteg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I re read it and I think maybe that's just the way of testing the stop circuit or stop diode in the power pack. It also says to swap the stator wires to see if it's the stator because maybe it's bad but I would think if it were bad both sides would be dead not just 1

clemsonteg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I pulled the power packs today so I could swap them just to make sure that was the problem. The pack that was previously working continued to work so I know it is the pack. I also found this which confirms the pack has probably gone out.

b160a967.jpg

Gonna order a new pack today.