Need a Lower Unit

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,
My Frankenstein Mercury 115, in-line 6, circa 1970-80's is going to need a lower unit. I have no reverse, forward works, but goes in hard under part throttle, and every time I have checked the gear oil, it is full of metal shavings. So far it works OK, but I am sure that it won't be long before I need to replace it.
My question is, how can I determine which Lower Units from what engines/years will fit my merc. What are the different specs I need to make sure I get one that will fit.
I intend to get a good used one, slap it on, and then tear into mine and see if it can be rebuilt and keep it for a spare.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Float, Float On!

GT

PS- I don't have any good pics of it yet, but if anybody needs some, I will be posting some tomorrow...

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need a Lower Unit

Any of the inline 4 and 6 lowers from 68 thru 86 will fit. There are three gear ratios. 2.33/1 2.0/1 and 1.78/1.

I like the 2.33's on everyting but the lightest of boats. (Make the torque with the gear, instead of the motor)

Your motor came standard with a 2.0 gear set.

Mercury made a 1.78 lower, why I do not know. The only motors I have seen that can take advantage of that gear are the V6's

I have a nice 2.0 early 70's lower that I can open up, inspect, reseal and sell for $250. Problem is it will cost probably half that much to ship it. (just a guess)

Try and find something local from someone you trust.

Good luck

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks, that's a big help...more questions, Will the prop swap over to any of these or are there differences? Will the drive shaft and shift shaft work on any inline 6 powerheads? I mean, where there any differences in the spline counts? Does it matter if the drive shaft has a preload pin or not? And. finally, what does one of these lowers weigh without the prop? I know it will be an awkward package because of the drive shaft, but if I find one some where far, I might consider paying for the shipping and packaging costs.

Best Regards,gt.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a whole 115hp on a baha, 84 model i think, very good engine just needs a pp. let me know if you want the lower because i have no title for the boat!! would cost $300 delivered.Tom

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as shaft lengths are same, all the lowers will interchange.

Not sure on the weight.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks again for the info, but pardon my noobness...How do I correctly measure for the shaft length?
:redface:

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe from where it mates to the upper,you know the flat surface to the tip of driveshaft and yeah fits alot of models.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I wanted to thank you all for your help and let you know that I scored a cherry L/U, nearby, for a great price. I should have it installed by this weekend and test it out. Of course, I am also gonna see if the fish are biting:D