Kicker on a Super Sport?

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Hi everyone,

I have my eye on a a 10hp Mercury tiller. It would be nice to have a kicker and to use a smaller engine to troll. My question will there be enough room to mount next to my main engine on top of the transom or will I need to add a bracket to the back of the transom to mount the kicker?

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/boa/2591583740.html

Thanks in advance!

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Kicker on a Super Sport?

I answered my own question by taking some measurements on my current set up. The answer is it will not fit hanging next to my 1150 Merc. I think the steering mechanism on one side and the wiring harness on the other and the shape of the transom prohibit the mounting of a kicker. I will need to look into
fabing up a bracket to mount on the transom.

dave 524

Seaman

I've got a 82 Sylvan centre console Rodmaster, basically a Mariner but built on the slightly larger 18 foot Starcraft Super Sport hull, had to use a bracket with a 85 Johnson and a 9.9 Johnson to the side. Even if you could get it there the steering for the big motor would be in the way. I use a bracket and an Easy-Steer connecting the 2. I've seen however some variation on the cutout on the transom over the years on these hulls , some years look like it might be doable.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well a mechanic owned motor is certainly a plus and it is a neat looking old gem. However I still don't think the price is right. Not much more than that $450 would get you a much much newer JohnnyRude 9.9. That mount will work fine.

dave 524

Seaman

One thing I would do if I had it to do over is go for a long shaft on the kicker. If it's a bit choppy like on the great lakes it helps keep the prop in the water or the powerhead out of the water:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

One thing I would do if I had it to do over is go for a long shaft on the kicker. If it's a bit choppy like on the great lakes it helps keep the prop in the water or the powerhead out of the water:eek:

I agree completely.