OMC 5.0 Cobra FourWinns - Overheating and drive stuck down

murphage

Recruit
Hey Guys , Boat /Engine novice here... Took my 1993 Four Winns 20' 195 Sundowner out today after having fuel problems most of the summer.
Had some recent work on it for the Shift Cable and fuel problem and was trying it out for a quick run , hoping to burn through the bad fuel
About 5 mins into the ride out on the ocean, the Temperature gauge started heating up and hot (burn-smelling) white smoke started coming
through the engine area... I shut it down , & got towed into shore... Unfortunately the Stern drive is still partially down , but high enough that I was able to get it home... Wondering if anyone has thoughts on where to start on the Overheating, & why it affected my outdrive ? I am reading the OMC Stern drive manual now - trying to figure out how to manually raise it... Thanks for any help you can provide...

-Mike.

john744

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC 5.0 Cobra FourWinns - Overheating and drive stuck down

Without actually seeing it, I'll take a shot and say start looking at the cooling water system that discharges water into the exhaust through the risers. First time I took my 1986 OMC Cobra 5'7, I had black smoke belching out of the engine compartment. I was cooking the rubber exhaust tubes because my exhaust manifold and risers were loaded with rust & crap and had blocked to the point where little or no water was being discharged into the exhaust. Those black rubber hoses should be firm but not hard and cracked or brittle. If you see bubbling on these hoses, you're cooking them.

As for the drive being stuck down, check to see if any electrical cables were resting against the exhaust manifold or other exhaust componets. If so, it may have been damaged. Also, just check for good clean connections on the relays which are mounted on the shidt bracket.

Good Luck !

PS send pictures - they are worth a thousand words and easier than typing

trihull59

Seaman Apprentice

You probably need the following, bellows, thermostat, impeller kit, exhaust flappers they sit in the exhaust tube in the inside of the boat and prevent water from going inside the engine when you make a sudden stop, possibly new exhaust bellows inside the boat. probably more its a boat.

start off with the bellows and the impeller for sure and then move on from there

also to raise the outdrive manually go to where the relay is that controls the trim and connect a jumper wire from one post to the other you will have to figure out which is positive then figure out which post controls up and down

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check selinoids on starboard side of engine. One should have green white wire and hot and another one will have blue white and hot. short blue white and hot side and drive will go up as long as motor is working fine. Trick with wires green grass for down, blue sky for up. Check wire in remote controls, common for one of them to get sliced.