Johnson 200GT, idles rough in gear

polarbear72

Recruit
I have a 88 200, when its out of gear warming up it idles pretty good and smooth. But when I put it in gear, the rpms drop and it sputters and pops and will occassionally cut off. It revs fine and seems to run great other than the idle. I've taken it to two different marinas for adjustment and even paid extra for them to take it to the lake to adjust. Either they didn't know what they were doing or something is wrong. They claim its fine and adjusted correctly, but I don't think so. So maybe someone can tell me the proper method and what to adjust. I'll put it in the lake to adjust. Thx

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Johnson 200GT, idles rough in gear

it is most likely either carb issue or timing/linkage issue. I would clean my carbs good, specially the idle passages, do a link and sync, then you could check the idle air screws, I am assuming you have done a compression check and spark test and all is good there.

polarbear72

Recruit

Compression on all 6 were within spec, each cyclinder is getting spark with new gapped plugs. It cranks fine and idles smooth. Its just when I put it n gear, the rpms drop and it sputters. If I give her just a little fuel, it picks up and runs fine. I had the shop go thru the carbs and sync em and supposedly adjust them. After taking it back several times and even paid them to take it to the lake, they of course say its fine. I think it just needs a little higher idle. I've give up on the shop

SparkieBoat

Captain

what is your idle RPM?? should be about 1100 on muffs and 900 in the water. I have a 89 johhny 200, it idles and runs out perfectly..i love this motor. it is very very dependable and reasonably fuel efficient.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You just get this or had it a while?

polarbear72

Recruit

I've owned it for a couple of years but I haven't ran it much. I was restoring the boat. The shop has the idle around 750 n neutral. When I put it n gear it'll drop to around 500 or so. That's why I think the idle needs to go up. I didn't know where it was supposed to idle at