wheel bearing lubrication. can i use the same stuff i pump into the outdrive fittings

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class
title pretty much is the question. I searched but couldnt find exactly what i was looking for.

I bought marine grease for my grease gun that i use on the nipples on the sides of the out drive.

can I use the same stuff for my wheel bearings on the trailer?

also...can i put bearing buddies on it at anytime? I saw a youtube vid the guy just hammered one in without needing to take the wheel off.

TIA!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: wheel bearing lubrication. can i use the same stuff i pump into the outdrive fitt

as an esteemed member of this forum says... "any grease is better than no grease"

Blue marine grease may not be spec'ed as ideal for wheel bearings but it is all I use on everything i own except for a few specific applications..... Ideally you should completely remove any trace of any other grease before changing but I sometimes don't.... It hasn't bitten me in the arse yet but one day it could....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: wheel bearing lubrication. can i use the same stuff i pump into the outdrive fitt

Marine wheel bearing grease is real cheep and can be found at any auto parts store. The Mercruiser grease I use in my outdrive is kinda pricy. I bought a cheep grease gun and a bunch of tubes at Pep Boys and that has packed my wheel bearings for many years.

Since mixing grease "May" be risky, I stick with Merc Lube in the outdrive (that's what it came with) because removing all the grease isnt that easy. OTOH, repacking a wheel is a piece of cake.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dang. makes me wish i had gotten mercruiser grease for the outdrive. instead of generic "marine grease".

thanks for the heads up. i'll get another grease gun, mercruiser grease and have diff guns for wheel bearings/outdrive.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on what grease you have in your gun. The first time I bought a boat the shop said to use 2-4c. Found out it's not the greatest for wheel bearings.

I now use Evinrude EP Wheel bearing grease in the gimbal and all bearings on the trailer.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hate to say it...i got the generic marine grease from fred meyer's.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i am reading the package of what i got. i think its a pretty standard grease and will be ok.

lithium complex base. from what i have searched lithium is the common grease for these applications.

the grease says its ok for trailer bearings +steering and cable quadrants, sleeve & anti friction bearings, slides/deck equip/dockside machinery.

ive already shot it into the outdrive zerk fitting. soooo ill just use it.

Bondo

Staff member

well i am reading the package of what i got. i think its a pretty standard grease and will be ok.

lithium complex base. from what i have searched lithium is the common grease for these applications.

the grease says its ok for trailer bearings +steering and cable quadrants, sleeve & anti friction bearings, slides/deck equip/dockside machinery.

ive already shot it into the outdrive zerk fitting. soooo ill just use it.

Ayuh,... All of my wheel bearings are packed with the standard chassis grease Napa is peddlin' when I walk in to buy my next case of it...
It might be brown, red, black, or who the 'ell cares What color...

Grease, by it's nature is Water Resistant...

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thinking that most of the bearings on the outdrive are plain bearings, and wheel bearings are roller bearings. should be fine.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info! after looking more closely at the hubs it appears the trailer already has bearing buddies!

my wheel bearings must be happy. not even warm after the 15 mile drive home from the lake today. the tires were pretty warm however.