Pressure Tank problems

Anthonyfasttwin

Seaman Apprentice
I have 4 pressure tanks all in bad shape. I have a 1955 fastwin I need to get running. Should I try to fix the gas tanks or go to a fuel pump system?

Steve A W

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pressure Tank problems

Funny thing about presure tanks is I've only read a few posts about trouble with them, But I've read a lot of posts about troubles with the single line conversions!
I keep the dual line tanks on Mine.
Good Luck.
Steve A W

Anthonyfasttwin

Seaman Apprentice

There pretty bad shape there is a bunch of gunk on the bottom that I get to look foward to cleaning out im not to sure if there rusted or not but there sure is a bunch of nasty looking stuff in there that I can see. I didnt know people were having problems with the single line conversion but I do now. Hopefuly the tanks wont be in too bad of shape. Thanks for the imput.

BonairII

Commander

Just clean your tank. Slap an inline filter on your fuel line just in case you miss any gunk in the tank.

If the actual tanks are in good structural shape, def clean them. They are getting harder and harder to find.

freddyray21

Commander

Funny thing about presure tanks is I've only read a few posts about trouble with them, But I've read a lot of posts about troubles with the single line conversions!
I keep the dual line tanks on Mine.
Good Luck.
Steve A W

a conversion done right will not give any problems. The problem with pressure tanks is that there are less and less of them around. If you go to sell a motor you have to sell the tank to go along with it as well. Many motors bought from garages and such don't have tanks. Best to learn how to convert one right.

Anthonyfasttwin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys I going to try to restore the pressure tanks first I have four of them to do.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you have a bunch of crud in the bottom of the tanks put a couple handfuls of nuts (3/8) or so and swish them around alot to break the crud loose.

Stonedcrow

Cadet

Hope its not too late for this. I just did this to my tank there is a kit from KBS coatings (for motorcycle tanks) that comes with a cleaner, etcher and then a sealer. Worked great. I suggest using some old chains to swish around to break the crud loose as nuts and bolts were a bit of a pain to get out.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Some of the tank sealing kits you have to be careful of, as allot of times a few years down the road the seal material comes loose and starts floating in the tank.

However, I fully endorse the Por-15 kit. My motorcycle tank was full of crusty rust and used their kit on it. The kit comes with a cleaner, and a powerful stripper (removes old tank linings), it also comes with a zinc coating and the stuff that you pour in to line the tank. 7 years since I did this to my motorcycle tank, and it's still holding up! http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration/products/12/

As far as getting the old stuff out, some ball bearings or steel shot would work fine. The other possibility is a radiator shop. Allot of radiator shops will clean out fuel tanks for you.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The problem with pressure tanks is that there are less and less of them around. If you go to sell a motor you have to sell the tank to go along with it as well. Many motors bought from garages and such don't have tanks. Best to learn how to convert one right.

That's quite true, but you have to be diligent in your search. In the past 3 years I bought a '55 Johnson and a '53 Evinrude Fastwin and both came with 2 tanks. I paid a total of $45 for all 6 items.

One of the tanks was an OMC oem replacement tank from the 1970's and it literally looked like new inside and out. I had to check old literature to confirm it....I never knew OMC sold 2-line tanks 20 years after they discontinued motors that used them!

THis Summer I bought 2 more old tanks for $5 apiece. Both had plugs on them as well. I din't really need them but at that price I couldn't resist.

Restoration is easy. Just a few gaskets and some hose. In addition to the nuts and bolts, I boil them out with water, then dry with alcohol. My 2 tanks that I use regularly have faired quite well, even 8 years after rebuilding.

freddyray21

Commander

That's quite true, but you have to be diligent in your search. In the past 3 years I bought a '55 Johnson and a '53 Evinrude Fastwin and both came with 2 tanks. I paid a total of $45 for all 6 items.

One of the tanks was an OMC oem replacement tank from the 1970's and it literally looked like new inside and out. I had to check old literature to confirm it....I never knew OMC sold 2-line tanks 20 years after they discontinued motors that used them!

THis Summer I bought 2 more old tanks for $5 apiece. Both had plugs on them as well. I din't really need them but at that price I couldn't resist.

Restoration is easy. Just a few gaskets and some hose. In addition to the nuts and bolts, I boil them out with water, then dry with alcohol. My 2 tanks that I use regularly have faired quite well, even 8 years after rebuilding.

the exception not the rule. trust me imo there are fewer tanks then motors out there. Most guys that collect these old motors don't have enough tanks for all their motors.

GTS225

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Reading through this thread gives me the impression there is no one making new, 2-line pressure tanks for Johnsons, is that correct?

I picked up a '59 Johnson, 5.5 horse at an auction for $35 awhile back, but don't have it running yet due to lack of correct tank.

Any suppliers I can be steered toward?

Thanks.....Roger

lindy46

Captain

No, two-line pressure tanks are no longer made. However, there are good ones (and restored ones) out there. Check Ebay or go to AOMCI.org and check the classifieds. Also, there are rebuild kits and gaskets available for the mechanical tank parts.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Reading through this thread gives me the impression there is no one making new, 2-line pressure tanks for Johnsons, is that correct?

I picked up a '59 Johnson, 5.5 horse at an auction for $35 awhile back, but don't have it running yet due to lack of correct tank.

Any suppliers I can be steered toward?

Thanks.....Roger
Langsoutboards.com

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

They're not hard to find if you're looking. Many marinas have a few in the back corner/attic/basement/shed. Showing up at coffee time with a box of donuts is a good way to get in their good graces and allow you to poke around. ;)