Fuel pump replacement

chas68

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1985 70hp Johnson which had the VRO removed. I have a problem with it bogging when the throttle is advanced and when it does go it will have intermitent bogs. I am presently considering replacing the VRO fuel pump with a non-VRO but cannot find one listed anywhere. Can anyone tell me what the replacement would be? I am not sure the pump is bad, but it seems to run better if you pump the bulb.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel pump replacement

You need to do some trouble shooting before you start buying parts. Your immediate problem is a fuel delivery problem, which can have a number of causes, such as:
. air leak on pump suction side (bad clamp, cracked hose, cracked tank pickup tube, etc., etc.)
. malfunctioning anti-siphon valve
. plugged tank vent
. trash blocking tank pickup screen
. plugged fuel filter
. collapsed fuel line
. check fuel pump output by taking off outlet hose and cranking engine over (make sure it can't start). You should see long, strong pulses of fuel. If not, pump is bad Alternately, you could tee a pressure gage into the pump outlet. You should see 3 to 6 psig.

OR

You can just start buying parts, and stay at it until the problem just goes away. Your choice.

chas68

Recruit
Re: Fuel pump replacement

Thanks Jim. I have replaced two clamps on the pulse vacuum line. This could be the problem. I also checked the other items you mentioned including the vent, bulb, check valve, etc.
I'm not saying the problem is the pump, but I would like to know where to get the replacement if it is. I will got to the lake after I found the defective plastic clamps and hope that fixes it.