Sears Gamefisher 3.0 (Tanaka TOB-300) Will not start whatever I try.

trock79

Cadet
My dad gave me his Sears Gamefisher 3.0 motor about 3 years ago, since then it sat in my garage and had not been used. Before I got it he said it sat for about 5 years since he last used it. I tried to start it and it would not work. I then proceeded to replace/check the following;

• fuel (50:1 mix)
  • fuel lines
  • cleaned out the deposits canister
  • removed and checked the carb which was very clean inside
  • replaced carb seals
  • replaced spark plug set to .025

From what I can tell I get good compression, I get a spark when I remove the spark plug and pull start. I have tried spraying starting fluid in the carb when trying to start it. I sometimes get some back fire but not enough to stick. I am stumped. Has anyone had this much trouble with an air cooled motor? I grew up ripping apart lawn mower engines, so I understand the concept of the combustible engine although I am not a mechanic. In fact I did have one of my mechanic friends come look at it and he left after 2 minutes (he usually stays for hours). I know I am getting spark and fuel, what else could I be missing?

M

mrcrabs

Re: Sears Gamefisher 3.0 (Tanaka TOB-300) Will not start whatever I try.

you say your getting spark....but how much, I would get a spark tester and just make for sure your getting a bright blue flame...

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEY trock79, This might sound far out there ,BUT TRY TAKING THE PLUG AGAIN AND HEAT UP THE PLUG [gap end] with a LIGHTER Get it real hot and put it back in as fast as you can .Then try to start it.--GOOD LUCK--

Last edited:

Dexta

Seaman

Does it have points? Might want to check the point gap.

trock79

Cadet
I'm getting there, it stalls a little longer now. I made the gap about .02 and it seemed to help. Now I notice blueish smoking coming from somewhere other than the exhaust system and I can't tell where from. May I have a leak and could said leak really keep it from starting?

Sent from my Carbonite fused ADR6350

M

mrcrabs

a TOB-300 with points? NO way

trock79

Cadet
Well the plug is getting good spark. I AM getting closer, it will try to start for a few seconds longer and the die again. Any other ideas?

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

you say 50 to 1 but how many GAL.RATIO GAS 3GAL.TO OIL1/2 PT.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK GREAT DID you try ajusting your idle jet turn it all the way in and back it out 3/4 of a turn and go from 1/8 of a turn at atime

trock79

Cadet
OK GREAT DID you try ajusting your idle jet turn it all the way in and back it out 3/4 of a turn and go from 1/8 of a turn at atime

Ok I tried that but i can't get it started long enough to see the effects.

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is the clip in the correct position on the jet needle? correct position is second notch from the top.main jet should also be number 74 on the tob-300. hope this helps good luck.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK ,What is your plug gap right now.? we are going to get this thing running.SET PLUG GAP AT 30

Last edited:

trock79

Cadet
is the clip in the correct position on the jet needle? correct position is second notch from the top.main jet should also be number 74 on the tob-300. hope this helps good luck.

I can't see an adjustment for the jet needle. The number on the main jet is 95.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok i meant 0.30 just make sure we are on the same page. Google [ tanaka tob-300 repair manuel] check it out

trock79

Cadet

I am getting pretty frustrated, I was willing to take it to someone to look at but no one will even look at it. They tell me it's too old to bother with.

robert graham

Admiral

I've been running a Tanaka 3HP for 25+ years and not much trouble with it, but here's some ideas: Are you sure you're getting gas through that crappy little petcock to the carb? Leave petcock in open position and stick a piece of wire up through it to be sure it's open. Check that your carb float needle is opening to fill float bowl. Remove top motor shroud, remove carb, exhast cover and remove 4 screws that hold cylinder on, gently slide cylinder off and check for stuck piston rings in their grooves and carbon deposits in exhaust port. If rings are stuck spray with carb cleaner and gently get them loose and moving again(without breaking them). You can do all this very easily in 20 minutes since the motor is so simple. If rings are stuck then your compression will be too low to run. Good Luck!

M

mrcrabs

They tell me it's too old to bother with

Thats the same thing my Ole Lady told me....what the h!@# do they mean? its to old to bother with" my arse....I say just go ahead and bother it any way!.

trock79

Cadet

I've been running a Tanaka 3HP for 25+ years and not much trouble with it, but here's some ideas: Are you sure you're getting gas through that crappy little petcock to the carb? Leave petcock in open position and stick a piece of wire up through it to be sure it's open. Check that your carb float needle is opening to fill float bowl. Remove top motor shroud, remove carb, exhast cover and remove 4 screws that hold cylinder on, gently slide cylinder off and check for stuck piston rings in their grooves and carbon deposits in exhaust port. If rings are stuck spray with carb cleaner and gently get them loose and moving again(without breaking them). You can do all this very easily in 20 minutes since the motor is so simple. If rings are stuck then your compression will be too low to run. Good Luck!

I have tried this, the piston rings were just fine, pretty loose but secure. There was some deposits it the cylinder, not sure if that is usual. I clean it the best I could. I reassembled and checked compression again, and it is still good. Still no go. The petcock is working just fine, if I remove the deposits canister and open the petcock gas flows out. If I put all that back together and remove the inlet hose to the carb I get nice flow there. If I test the throttle with the carb exposed I see fuel come out with the needle, not a lot but some. I'm not sure how much fluid is supposed to come out of the carb into the intake.