7.4 GiPEFS/DP-SM Winterizing, drive bellows, gimbal bearing, and shift cable service

bear_69cuda

Commander
Good Morning

Realistically I have only 4-6 weeks of boating before I need to winterize. Bummer!

In June my local Volvo service department informed me that the ujoint bellows is starting to crack and show signs of wear, the gimbal bearing, and shift cable should be replaced before next season. Bummer!

So I decided to start this thread for more than a few reasons.

I'm really interested in doing this work myself. ( Though I'll surely need the help and guidance of this forum )
I searched this forum and didn't find many threads that cover this combination of service and repair, so I thought I'd try my best to document, take video / pictures, and contribute my venture on iboats.
My only local Volvo Penta service department wants ~ $1100 for this service, and I just can't swing that kinda coin currently.

For starters,

I do have all the correct factory service manuals downloaded to my PC! Thanks DonS!

My Engine and Drive data are as follows.

2000 7.4 GiPEFS SN:4012007343
2000 DP-SM 1.78 ratio SN:4112087260

I'll be following DonS's sticky regarding winterization in the Adults Only section.

So now for some questions, and confirmations...

I understand I can use the MerCruiser engine alignment tool, and gimbal installation tool on my Volvo drive correct? ( If anyone has these PN's handy I'd appreciate it)

Are there any other special tools I'll need for the drive service and winterization?

According to my local Volvo dealer only synthetic engine oil and outdrive gear oil should be used? The dealer said the oil alone for my engine is $130????

Any recommendations on vendors that sell ujoint bellows service kits with all the gaskets, parts, etc...?

Over the next few days I'll be compiling a list of all the parts and supplies I need so I can start the ordering process.

I want to thank the iboats forum members in advance for any help, guidance, and assistance with my quest!

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 7.4 GiPEFS/DP-SM Winterizing, drive bellows, gimbal bearing, and shift cable serv

I don't think Volvo sells a "Kit" from the transom shield, but I would suggest you use a genuine Volvo ujoint bellows. If you don't have water in the bellows, i'm not sure how your dealer can say you need a gimbal bearing.
The bellows are easy to replace, without removing the bellhousing. Disconnect the water hose from the bellhousing (Big plastic nut) disconnect the exhaust bellows, disconnect the ujoint bellows hand lower it out the bottom.

NEVER reuse gaskets and orings.

Oil .................... here is my reply to that. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=477958&p=3238512&viewfull=1#post3238512

Gear lube, Volvo calls for GL5 synthetic. Easy to find at any parts store.

When you pull the drive, check the ujoints, and gimbal bearing. They should be perfectlly smooth in operation, any roughness or looseness is reason for replacement.

Alignment and lubing the coupler splines is a MUST... Yearly.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: 7.4 GiPEFS/DP-SM Winterizing, drive bellows, gimbal bearing, and shift cable serv

Good morning gang,

Today I've started to build my outdrive stand, and started the winterization process. I'll be posting video and pics along the way.

06OCT2011%252520001.jpg

06OCT2011%252520005.jpg

06OCT2011%252520019.jpg

06OCT2011%252520022.jpg

Unfortunatly I'll not be able to replace the bellows and gimbal bearing until spring. I'm curious if it's okay to trailer the boat to my storage building ~ 15 miles without the outdrive attached? I'm thinking I'd like to store it in my basement, and paint it over the winter. Then in spring it's off and I'm ready to tackle the gimbal, shift cable, and bellows. My concern is will the engine and coupler shift from the transom assembly while trailering?

Thanks in advance!

Don S

My concern is will the engine and coupler shift from the transom assembly while trailering?

You can leave the outdrive off for towing, no problem at all. Just be sure to tie up the trim rams.
The outdrive shaft does not support the engine, that is what the 2 front and 2 rear motor mounts do.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You might want to fab up some kind of a cover to keep water out of the open bellows area, or stuff some shop rags in there in case you get blowing wind or rain. I actually have a plastic cover made by some aftermarket company for my Cobra, it has a wire that holds up the trim rams and it fits on the studs on the pivot housing.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/RU-169.htm

they don't make one for Volvos but the Cobra one might fit an SX because the transom mounts are similar.....

bear_69cuda

Commander

Morning gang,

Finished winterizing yesterday, fogging mixture used running engine @ 1500 RPM for 15 min. Changed oil/filter. (took a long time to remove the oil using extractor) Removing outdrive was the easy part, getting the fuel filter off was insane. Good thing my neighbor has a strap wrench! I'll post pics of my outdrive stand, and the condition of my bellows and gimbal bearing ASAP.

I drained over 5 gal of water from the 7.4's open cooling system, and block. No wonder blocks crack with this much water, if not properly winterized...

bear_69cuda

Commander

Is it okay to fill my outdrive thru the dipstick hole? I can't find an adapter to fit the 3/8" drain hole.

Thanks!

Don S

You need to fill from the bottom. Sometimes you just need the right tool, or make your own adapter. Volvo Penta P/N 3855932.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Don S

This the part you need. The pump hooks to it.

3855932.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Good morning Gang,

I've posted pics above of my outdrive stand.

Also some pics of my bellow and gimbal bearing. There is no water inside the bellows, just grease that looks to be flung around from the drive u-joints and such. However I noticed what appears to be a greese seal spring exposed. See picture with red arrow pointing to the spring.

06OCT2011%252520014%252520spring.JPG

06OCT2011%252520015.jpg

Don S

It's the garter spring for the seal in front of the gimbal bearing. About 99% of them get knocked off the seal when trying to put the shaft or alignment bar through it. You could put it back on, but I normally just throw them away. The seal really doesn't keep anything out of it, just kind of keeps the grease in. When you grease your gimbal bearing, pump some grease in, turn the bearing, pump some more, turn and repeat. Then when the grease is squeezing out of the bearing all the way around, clean up the old grease, including up against that seal and you won't have such a mess inside the bellows and there won't be any grease slinging inside the boat either.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey all...

Happy Spring!

I've assembled all my parts for bellows and gimbal replacement and I have a few questions before I get started...

1:
So it's really possible to replace the drive bellows and gimbal bearing w/o removal of the drive pivot housing? It seems like things would be easier with it removed?

2:
I didn't purchase the cooling passage o-ring, is this a recommended part to replace also?

3:
My local Volvo tech said unless it's toasted he doesn't always replace the seal in front of the gimbal bearing... Any comments?

4:
I saw the thread on installation of a Zerk grease fitting on the gimbal bearing housing, instead of relying on the factory tube... I think it's a great idea, but I'm afraid of tapping the hole to install the proper Zerk... Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance for any insight, comments, or help!

Don S

1:
So it's really possible to replace the drive bellows and gimbal bearing w/o removal of the drive pivot housing? It seems like things would be easier with it removed?
It can be done either way. If you leave the pivot housing bolted, you have to remove the water hose fitting from the bellhousing, and the exhaust bellows to get it out. If you unbolt the pivot housing, you just have to tip it forward and everything else can remain hooked up.

2:
I didn't purchase the cooling passage o-ring, is this a recommended part to replace also?

Yes, you should replace it. if it leaks, you will suck air while on plane and overheat.

3:
My local Volvo tech said unless it's toasted he doesn't always replace the seal in front of the gimbal bearing... Any comments?
Those things should be left alone at all costs. They are just dust seals. Horrible thing to replace.

4:
I saw the thread on installation of a Zerk grease fitting on the gimbal bearing housing, instead of relying on the factory tube... I think it's a great idea, but I'm afraid of tapping the hole to install the proper Zerk... Any advice on this?

If you aren't having problems with water in the bellows with a new bellows, then don't worry about it.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hi Don,

Thanks for the pointers as always!

Well I started the service today...

Removed water passage hose nut first.

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520109.jpg

Next I removed the anode wires from the gimbal ring, and the trim sending unit. And of course one of the bolts holding the sending unit sheared off! Not sure what the heck to do now?

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520110.jpg

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520111.jpg

Sheared off bolt from sending unit... Any ideas? I tried to cut a groove to fit straight screwdriver but it failed...

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520118.jpg

Using 1/2" hex and breaker bar to remove pivot bolts.

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520112.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Then I removed the pivot housing after un-seating the drive bellows from it's groove..

The exhaust bellows I removed looks like a straight hose, not like the replacement that has accordion type appearance... There is no snap ring like the manual states either?

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520114.jpg

Much easier to get at the bellows and gimbal bearing!

Pic after both bellows were removed...

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520115.jpg

Used 10 lb slide hammer with gear puller to remove gimbal bearing.

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520116.jpg

Gimbal bearing removed, and I'm stalled until I figure out what to do about sheared off bolt...

Imperial%252021JAN2012%2520117.jpg

The exhaust bellows I removed looks like a straight hose, not like the replacement that has accordion type appearance... There is no snap ring like the manual states either?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Yep that's it..

I figured the dealer would know that when I gave them the drive serial number...

They also ordered a Sierra gimbal bearing instead of genuine Volvo Penta. Is there a difference in quality?

Yet another question... Is there a seal on the shift cable? It seems to slide very easily into the hole on the transom shield, and I don't notice a grommet like on the trim sending wires...

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey gang,

I'm about to install my new genuine Volvo Penta gimbal bearing PN:3888555 and there in no grease hole? Am I missing something? Is this some new sealed bearing? Not sure I like that idea at all... I did rotate the outer band 360 degrees multiple times and no hole... Funny I ordered the first one from the dealer after I specified genuine VP parts and the gave me some OMC sierra aftermarket, now the new bearing seems wrong also... geese Louise.... The bearing I removed is made in the USA and seems okay... I figured since it's install date was unknown I'd install a new one... maybe I should re-install my old bearing...