johnson 35hp seaghorse 1984 model

bignev

Cadet
i have the above motor mechanic told me the starter solinoid was faulty so i purchased a new one and in stalled it my selfe i am sure i had put all the wires in the correct place when i went to start it the starter tuned but the bendix did not engage would any one have wire diagram showing the wire colours ect so i can double check thanks

had new battery leads cdi unit plugs installed 4 weeks ago ran boat for a few hours stopping and starting a few times then stopped for about an hour went to start nothing took boat back to mechanic he tested it while i was there so i replaced it today now this problem does it matter what wire goes where to the small terminals ther is red wire and a black earth thanks

ok thanks guys i looked at it this morning in the day light discovered that i ihad the battery wires back to front reversed them evrything ok now starts great once again thank you for the in put keep up the good work

Haffiman

Commander
Re: johnson 35hp seaghorse 1984 model

Sounds more like a starter or voltage/amp problem.
If starter turns, relay is probably correct hooked up.
Yellow/red on one 'small' stud, black on the other.
Battery red on one big stud, relay to starter on the other big.
What is the voltage before and after the relay when at rest and when starter is engaged?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, bignev.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Sounds like a classic case of hidden corrosion in the battery cable connections. Take both battery cables off at both ends, scrub the connections shiny and put them back.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck. :)

wmconway

Seaman

Definitely clean and reinstall battery cables with nuts and lock washers(Stainless). You might test the starter directly using a jumper cable.