Chevy 2500HD

hjones0922

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so some of ya'll saw my earlier post regarding the exhaust on the truck I just bought. Here is next question...and I'm already committed, so telling me not to do it is a waste of typing.

I just bought a 2003 2500HD, 4x4, 4 door, 6.0 gas, all the options except for the flip down DVD and leather. Truck had 150k miles on it, which is a bit high, but KBB and NADA both told me in the $12k range, and I paid 9K for it. It has 4 brand new Nitto Terra Grappler 295/75/18 tires on brand new Gear 711 rims. I test drove it, everything worked, no complaints, so I bought it.

Here's the question for anyone have the same or a similar truck, and have any insight on what I'm to expect? Don't tell me to expect tires to be ridiculously expensive, I already know that part, LOL.

- HJ

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Chevy 2500HD

its man made, will eventually fail. other than that, it has 150k on the clock, do you know the history? my experience is that GM vehicles have a tendency to loose the fuel pump lately (more so than 10+ year ago). I have replaced about 4 of them in the past few years.

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

Downhill with the wind at your back you will still get terrible milaege. But I am sure you already knew that. :D

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Assuming it has the same front bearings that my 2007 classic 2500HD has on it, expect them to go bad. They are expensive, but really easy to change since they are in a unit which includes the hub, speed sensor, etc.

You can buy them from dmaxstore.com and they give you a life time warranty. Mine went out at 50-60K miles.

Oh, and keep an eye on balljoints and pitnam arm. Both weak links with oversized tires.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '04 has just turned 100,000 miles...It has original brakes still from new...Never had any major issues...Had a water pump the dealer changed because they claimed it was leaking(I couldn't see what they supposedly saw) and a new harmonic balancer...I have a flowmaster super 40's and a cat back dual kit and a K&N CAI...The exhaust is loud and the CAI sucks...Neither one do anything except wake the neighbors at 5:30am...The CAI makes it so my check engine light comes on with a 0101 code which is a lean condition because of excess air...Without doing a tune neither of those things actually do anything worthwhile...I will never own another truck that doesn't say Silverado on the side...:eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well...... I too have a K2500 but an older one with 198K on the body and frame but only 9K on the 5.7 and tranny. I really do like the truck. Right now I am in the process of cutting away rust and welding, replacing fender's and I will paint it.

I will tell you that I have a TON of respect for anyone who does similar work and I am really impressed on the original build and design. I have done the same thing on older Fords I had and there really is no comparison (Ford's are easier due to construction :facepalm:).

I am "saving my plow truck" and maybe someday I will replace it with a newer Chev/GMC 2500.

You have fancy tires........ I run 4 huge snows....... I have 1 ton springs and a real think (did it myself) bed. My MPG is 6 in the winter and 12 in the summer :) My only wish was that I had a locker rear end from a Z71 which would help but I will survive :)

Good luck with your new to you toy:D

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

The window regulators will fail, if they haven't already. Nice trucks though, most of my similar delivery trucks are still running strong with around 250,000 miles. Rusting away now, but still running strong.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming it has the same front bearings that my 2007 classic 2500HD has on it, expect them to go bad. They are expensive, but really easy to change since they are in a unit which includes the hub, speed sensor, etc.

Under $200 and real easy to swap out.

Actually a really cool design change from the old school and the only special tools are some metric sockets. I think it took me an hour in the driveway.

Great truck congrats, the only thing I don't like is the big rims. It's already not an off road truck so why limit it more with smaller sidewalls, and paying more for tires with no benefit ??? Oh well they are there now.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ive got the same truck, 2001 model. 107K miles.

watch out for the plastic thru-firewall radiator to heater connectors. one of mine broke out on a dirt road and left me stranded for a bit.

other then that. built chevy tough is no joke.

truckburning.jpg

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

My '04 has just turned 100,000 miles...It has original brakes still from new...Never had any major issues...Had a water pump the dealer changed because they claimed it was leaking(I couldn't see what they supposedly saw) and a new harmonic balancer...I have a flowmaster super 40's and a cat back dual kit and a K&N CAI...The exhaust is loud and the CAI sucks...Neither one do anything except wake the neighbors at 5:30am...The CAI makes it so my check engine light comes on with a 0101 code which is a lean condition because of excess air...Without doing a tune neither of those things actually do anything worthwhile...I will never own another truck that doesn't say Silverado on the side...:eek:

You have an intake leak. That's what's tripping the code. Air getting into the engine around the sensor is messing with it. There's no need to tune it your computer will adjust. It make take a bit but it will

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

74470_1576403604650_1072387761_1634127_3358271_n.jpg

04' with 3" body lift and 32's that are about to be replaced with 34's