Marine vs. Automotive battery

Zoodirt

Cadet
Do I really need a marine battery for starting 1990 Johnson 70hp (no radio, lights, etc.)?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Marine vs. Automotive battery

Not really. A marine battery has a bit more beef in it than its auto cousin. Your 70 doesn't care where it is getting the 12 volts from.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

Heh, I use a little lawn tractor battery to start my 25 'rude!
Works great.

snake77

Cadet

To start it no it doesn't matter what you get it from the issue with marine batteries is there ability to bounce back from being drained completely and back to holding a charge. Auto batteries don't have as many jumpstarts life in it.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

To start it no it doesn't matter what you get it from the issue with marine batteries is there ability to bounce back from being drained completely and back to holding a charge. Auto batteries don't have as many jumpstarts life in it.

If your cruising soft water it will work, but if you hit the waves too often get the marine for shure.matter of like 20.00 dollars play it safe bro.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

i have used car batteries as starters in the past without a problem, as stated for lights pumps ect you certainly want one but for a starter it shoudl be okay.

Marine batts are built a bit tougher because of the beating they take.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Marine batts are built a bit tougher because of the beating they take.

Yep, by tougher he means like thicker plates, and plastic case, also better glue holding them together. A marine battery is more "shock resistant".

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Used both never lost a battery. Not until I got a trolling motor did I pay attention to what type battery I was purchasing....used to just buy the cheapest 24 I could find.

Mark

haulnazz15

Captain

Always used an EverStart (walmart brand) in all of our vehicles/toys. Never had an issue using auto-batteries. For deep cycle batteries on the trolling motor, they're normally marine batteries.