Outdrive drain plug question.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I periodically pull the lower drain/fill plug on my Alpha 1 gen II lower unit and drain a little lube to check the condition of the gear lube. My plug has an O ring on it and not a standard gasket. Should I be changing the O ring each time I pull the plug? I don't want to create a potential water intrusion situation. The lube never leaks out but I don't want any water to get in.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Outdrive drain plug question.

Well, I don't replace mine but I probably should. Ever find any water in it?

V

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Outdrive drain plug question.

I periodically pull the lower drain/fill plug on my Alpha 1 gen II lower unit and drain a little lube to check the condition of the gear lube. My plug has an O ring on it and not a standard gasket. Should I be changing the O ring each time I pull the plug? I don't want to create a potential water intrusion situation. The lube never leaks out but I don't want any water to get in.

The only plugs that use an o-ring have a groove on the backside of the plug that matches the ring. Many boaters erroneously replace their flat fiber washer (blue) with the o-ring, thinking that it will seal better. Not true...the groove is needed to keep the ring in place and not squish out of place when over tightened.

Whichever you need...fiber washer or ring...it is good practice to replace ever time you are servicing the drive. Cheap insurance, to say the least!

Happy boating!