Starting issues.

2mate

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1976 evinrude 40hp pull start and it will not start. I have fitted a new carb kit, head gasket and set of plugs. The fuel is new. Points have been reset and cleaned. There are two new coils and there is a spark from both cylinders. The engine will fire then will not run or fire again. The compression is 100 psi on both cylinders which i think sounds low? I Changed the head gasket and it is still the same. I have removed the two inspection plates from the side of the engine and the piston rings are free and moving. The thing i did notice was on the two inspection plates there was oil marks from where it had blown out of the gasket. There is a similar thing where the two blocks join around the crank. There is oil around the gasket and it is wet.
Any ideas?
Cheers

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Starting issues.

When you re-built the carb, did you check your float level? The float needs to be parrallel with the carb body when held upside down. It sounds like the motor is flooding and that would be a potential cause. The oil/wetness wouldn't prevent the motor from starting and I trust you replaced the gaskets when you re-installed the plates.