1991 Mercrusier 7.4 Bravo 1 Starter Replacement????

Hey everyone I have a question for you....I removed my bad starter from my engine tonight and was wondering a few things.

1) Can i replace it with a chevy starter thats for a 1991 454 motor? Since the motor is a mercrusier big block that is a Chevy. The reason i am asking is I don't want to spend $225 for a new one! Truck rebuilt one is like $60 compared to $225 for a marine use one. My buddy said it should not be a problem just make sure it has the same amount of splines/teeth and that the bolt pattern is the same. Is he correct?

2) Anybody know how to cross reference the marine starter to a automotive starter? I can't read the model or part number on it.

3) Anybody know the part number for a 1991 Mercruiser 7.4L 454 thunder bolt ignition Bravo one starter would be?

Thank you everyone! I am hoping I can figure this all out tomorrow so I can be on the river this weekend! Thanks again!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Mercrusier 7.4 Bravo 1 Starter Replacement????

"1) Can i replace it with a chevy starter thats for a 1991 454 motor? Since the motor is a mercrusier big block that is a Chevy. The reason i am asking is I don't want to spend $225 for a new one! "

Yep ,you sure can, but what do we tell your next of kin when they ask
"How come Daddy got all blown up"

Car parts in cars, marine SPARK ARRESTED PARTS in marine applications.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Marine and auto fuel and most electrical parts are different from each other. DO NOT use an automotive starter. BT Doctor gave you the word. You can get a marine rebuilt starter for about the same price as an auto rebuilt. Hy

oops!

Supreme Mariner

"1) Can i replace it with a chevy starter thats for a 1991 454 motor? Since the motor is a mercrusier big block that is a Chevy. The reason i am asking is I don't want to spend $225 for a new one! "

Yep ,you sure can, but what do we tell your next of kin when they ask
"How come Daddy got all blown up"

Car parts in cars, marine SPARK ARRESTED PARTS in marine applications.

BAAAA HAAAAA HAAAAA.....thats a good way to put it....

boats are lost every year due to this stupid human trick