Reeves timing question

Keepi time

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok 1989 90hp v4. Remove all plugs, got it. Spark tester. Is it necessary? Also. How do you ground the plugs? Attach alligator clips to the end of the plugs and attach to the block? Also do you still connect the timing light over the sp wire? Back to the spark tester. If I do have to use it as I am pretty confident on the spark, I assume you connect one end to the sp and ground the other side to the block. Also how can you tell when your engine warms up as it seems that the water is too cold to allow the thermostats to open. Thanks for your responses!

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Reeves timing question

You may just bundle the plugs together with a hose clamp and a solid ground wire to the block.
You did not state which V4 you have, but if it has quick-start (temp sender with 2 wires to one head, one white/black) you need to remove the yellow/red from starter solenoid to power pack before testing and ground the black/white FROM power pack to temp switch before cranking.
If engine does not reach at least 36C when warming up, either your thermostats are leaking or it does not run at one cylinder on the side where your quick start temp switch is located.
Ign timing light hooked to plug wire as normal.

Keepi time

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what v4 I have either. I think I do have the quick start based on the wires you described. I think once in the water they do open as I have not ran the engine more than 5 minutes on the muffs. Also can you detail out how when yellow/red wire is removed to start the engine. And exactly how to ground the bock/white from pier pack to temp switch. Thanks again for the reply.

Haffiman

Commander

On the starter solenoid you may have two yellow/red attached to small stud. One comes from the key switch, one goes to the power pack. Remove the one going to the power pack.
From the quick start temp switch, disconnect the black/white and ground the harness end.
testing thermostats and temp when running on muffs is a dead end. Either in the water, or run in a barrel with water level ABOVE the water pump.