Question about drain plug

zcasavant

Recruit
Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while and recently acquired a Starcraft Mariner. Great boat.

Anyway, it's been storming a lot where I live and I decided to take the boat out of the water for a few days. When I was putting the cover on it, I noticed that there is a hole on the transom without a plug. For the life of me, I can't remember if it's supposed to be plugged. I do have a plug that sort of fits, but it seems too loose. The hole in question is below. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I figured it out. Bilge outlet. I have a spare plug I'll insert.

attachment.php

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about drain plug

Welcome to the club, zc. Seeing that the Mariner is a fishing boat, do you have any bait/live wells? If you do, throw some water in it/them and see where it comes out. You can gently, very gently. probe the drain for a hose. No hose, it's the bilge.

BTW - the memberships dues are more pics of your Mariner. We get off on Starcraft pics - LOL

Edit - See that was simple. Thats an important one, too. Dues are still payable and tell us about your new SC.

Last edited:

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

to me it looks like you have your livewell drains plugged and the open drain appears to be the bilge (which should be plugged) I say this as it appears to be the lowest point--just assuming:D

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I just read about some dude who's boat sank because he used that style (flip) plug - it fell out:eek: - might want to shorten the pockets by 6 bucks and get a screw one:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome aboard ZC, the Mariner's are great boats:)

That should absolutely be plugged any time the boat is headed for the water.

Both the "flip" and "T-handle" bilge plugs can be tightened by turning the handle clockwise.

Keep it good and tight, then turn counter-clockwise after the boat has been pulled out of the water to drain any water from leaks/rain/splash.

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I finally did it. I was putting the boat in the water and heard the sound of water rushing in. My wife laughed a little when she looked in the rear view mirror as I was was waving her forward like a maniac. She knew instantly that I forgot to put in the drain plug. I hope that is the last time I make that mistake but I am fairly certain I will forget again. I also didn't have the battery switch on yet so the bilge pump didn't kick on. It is amazing how much water can get in through that little hole.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

oh yeah--when I first picked up my Ranger from my dad I was searching for the hole on the inside of the bilge--ended up having to call my dad and ask he:facepalm: he laughed at me a bit and said on this type you have to use the type that screws tight and put it in on the outside--other wise if you use the lever type it will get pulled out at speed.

Caper1

Cadet

Isn't the plug on the wrong side:) It should be on the inside of the boat where you can't lose and can take it out while running to empty the bilge. In the event your bilge pump isn't working or you have none! just saying!!

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't the plug on the wrong side:) It should be on the inside of the boat where you can't lose and can take it out while running to empty the bilge. In the event your bilge pump isn't working or you have none! just saying!!

On certain boats it is on the outside (since you cant readily access from inside the boat)--the type that is used has a T handle that you screw to tighten==I thought the same as you at first. On my Ranger I would have to remove the start battery, battery plate ( where the battery sits--and is removable) and have arms about 5' long:D

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

After the last time I was on the water, I pull the drain plug as soon as I get her out. I wa tieng her down when I noticed she wasn't setting right on the rollers. The back t were at an angle instead of straight, and only the end of 1 roller was touching the hull. I immediately backed her back down in the water to straighten her, and you guessed it, no drain plug in. No biggie, it's only gonna be in the water a minute, only it didn't straighten to easy. It holds a lot of water you know. Sort of heavy to pull back out too.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

i thought you North Idaho woodsmen were smarter than a boat??? LOL good to hear from you Pugetsound ED

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Well Ed, I thought I'd let him know what that hole was for, and what happens when you don't put something in it. I never thought it would fill so fast.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

You are still talking about the boat are you not????? LOL Later bed time

zcasavant

Recruit

Thanks so much for all of the replies guys! It's all plugged up and back in the water. Here are some pictures to pay my dues :)

photo (1).jpgIMG_0324 - Copy.jpgboat 1.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

barato2

Commander

that really is a beautiful boat. love the colors