1960 Gale Sovereign 60hp head re-assembly

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hopefully this doesn't start something!

Do I or Do I NOT use sealant on the head bolt threads??? torque spec is only 16ftlb would sealant prevent proper torquing?

Maybe some "neverseize" on just the shoulders, so the steel and aluminum do not corrode again? (corroded shoulders in the heads caused me significant pain in removal, broken bolt and easyout, of course this motor appears to never have been "torn down"). I do plan on a complete rebuild in a season or two (a season for me is 20 - 30 hrs run time (more anchoring and swimming close to port)

BTW - head was off to get a helicoils in the spark plug holes (comp 65 - 70 in all 4 cyl, not bad for 53yo motor, cylinder walls = scratch free).

I've heard cases on both sides from some mechanics that work on older car engines, BUT never talked to anyone about a 2stroke outboard.

Thoughts Please... Scott

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1960 Gale Sovereign 60hp head re-assembly

Please read above...

I need some ideas. It would be nice to get this motor back together and tested before the weather goes cold...

Thanks - Scott

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got a free weekend to reassemble and test the motor! Reassembled the head bolts with a dab of permatex #2 (soft/pliable) as a thread lube and the shoulders of the bolts with a smidgen of neverseaze (to prevent corrosion between the parts) All gasket surfaces were clean and dry. Torqued to the factory spec. Performed a link & sync, timing, clean & reset points, fresh battery & fuel.

Test ran the motor in a barrel to get the idle set to static and discovered the carb floats were flooding me out reset them and this past weekend we splashed into the chesapeake bay. Idle was tweeked while in gear both carbs were about a 1/4 to half turn off. Then went for WOT high speed jet set up and she's almost purring like a kitten (better than I expected from a 50+ yo motor).

I managed to get to 23 mph on an all fiberglass AristoCraft Funliner 17'. I'm thinking that was pretty good for this ol' girl. This weekend is looking to be really nice here so one more shakedown run berfore the Fall Colors Tour then I'll hope to be ready for the 2012 Season!

God speed to you all

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEY HELL-O, I read your tread ,some things you have to do what you think is right and from what i was reading you did it right Hope you really enjoy your boat please post some pic's of your boats---- THANK'S

FFScott6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update - been out twice since the reassembly and carb "adjustments." I seem to have a flat spot at about 1/4 throttle. It is acting like it's getting to much fuel and stumbles (for lack of a better word), it is not popping back as if lean. I was thinking about maybe the timing? any ideas? As I mentioned previously the linkage is all 'loose' on this motor (heck my joints ache too), but the loading condition is at the same point. Upon going to full throttle it hesitates then takes off. There could be a bit better adjustment on the high speed jets but fuel economy is pretty good (for an old 2stoke). I posted 2 videos on :)book (FFScott6) one is in a tub at home and the other on the water, at operating temp.

Thanks for any opinions!

Added - linc & sync twice and points clean and adjusted and plugs not fouled or running to hot... Hmm just came to mind... I have not rechecked compression. What would a good number for this motor? too my knowledge it has never been apart except for my recent head gasket.

Last edited: