Outdrive Trim Indicator??

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a way to hook up a gauge or something to let you know what position your outdrive is in? Im assuming the sensors on the drive now are just to cut off the raising or lowering like an electric "stop" or limit switch. Mine dont work I dont think, cause I have to listen to hear it start to stall and know its all up or down. It would be nice to be able to "see" where the outdrive was during running, like a tab position indicator.....just sayin...

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Outdrive Trim Indicator??

Do you have trim gauge on your dash that's not working? I have a trim gauge on my dash and it's useless even when working. It is not accurate. If you have one and repair it or even install one it will only give you a general idea where your trim is positioned. The drive sensor is the trim limit and the other is your trim angle.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a trim gauge on the dash also and I agree it is for reference only it is not accurate or consistent at all. It might actually be better not to have one because you should trim the boat based on how it feels in the water not on the gauge.

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

X2 I agree with that. I'm still confused on whether the OP has a non working gauge on the dash already.

tpenfield

Staff member

A mechanical indicator will give you an accurate reading of the trim position in the operating trim range.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No folks, I don't have a trim gauge or indicator. And the trim switches or limits don't look like they are wired to anything. The right one is just tied together

Oshkosh1

Ensign

No folks, I don't have a trim gauge or indicator. And the trim switches or limits don't look like they are wired to anything. The right one is just tied together

When you say "right"...is that port(looking aft) or stbd(looking fwd)?

I'll assume you're looking at it from the stern...so it's on YOUR right. There are identical fixtures on the drive. One is the limit switch(port side) the other is the indicator sending unit(stbd). If your boat(like mine) has no trim indicating guage then the stbd side will need no wiring from/to it.