what boat is this?

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a guy that lives 5 minutes away from me that is selling this boat frame. I have a boat that is rotted, so I am looking for a frame to move my 80 HP outobard over to. This boat looks nice from the pictures, and I am going to see it today after work.

However he does not know a lot about it. All I can tell is it looks like a "seVille" but that does not tell me much. I want to research it before going over there to look. He is asking 300.00 for it. as far as any parts I need, I can move from my boat I have now. But from the pictures, does this boat look like a good buy for 300.00? In the picture you can see the floor, and the stringers, do they look to be in pretty good shape?

When I go to look at it, since it has no floor and stuff, what do I need to look for to make sure it is a good buy?
It also comes with the trailer.

Attachments

• 8301498.jpg
    8301498.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 8301512.jpg
    8301512.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • 8301521.jpg
    8301521.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • 8301532.jpg
    8301532.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: what boat is this?

from the design of the stern and the cable steer, I'd say it's something from the late 1950's, when they made boats to look like cars. You will have to decide if you want to restore it to a "seville" or just fix it up to use it.

Cable steering is dangerous, so consider replacing it if you aren't restoring.

Can't speak to condition from here.

$300 seems cheap for an old classic hull if it's in good shape.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a Glaspar to me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that hull will need several hundread dollars and 40 hours before it can be on the water.......the deck is missing !

cribber

Lieutenant

Agree with Home Cookin you got to ditch the steel cabled steering and go rotary or rack and pinion.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went over and looked at this this moning before work. The title says it is a 1961 winner runabout.
I do not know much about it. I am not planning on doing a restore, but just looking for a boat to put my motor on and a little work and get it on the lake. I am thinking you are right, it will take about 400.00 in parts just to get it ready to float.

The body seemed as though it was in good condition. There was no signs of rotted wood in the transom or anything. I would be pulling the steering out of my boat with is a pinion type replacing the cable steering. But after looking at it, I am thinking for the money I will spend for the boat, and getting it ready for the water, I could buy a boat that does not need that much work put into it.

mrjeff62

Cadet

The Seville was made by SeaRay. I don't know anything about their quality. Looks like a pretty ambitious project to me.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

Unless you 'need' a project, or 'need' a classic project, I would keep looking.
But if this is the boat you want, check out the bottom real closely, boats that sit on trailers for years tend to have deformed bottoms.

If you just want a boat to get on the water, look around there are numerous boats with bad motors.

I see them ALL the time!

mrjeff62

Cadet

It's almost Fall. The number of boats for sale will jump pretty soon. I have to agree with Fishbone. You'll end up putting more time and as much money into this boat as you would for one already seaworthy.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to get in touch with www.fiberglassics.com they are a fiberglass boat site and their boat selection goes back to the 50's. LOTS of information on all kinds of old boats...like yours.

haulnazz15

Captain

The Seville was made by SeaRay. I don't know anything about their quality. Looks like a pretty ambitious project to me.

While Sea Ray did make a model called the Seville, I seriously doubt Sea Ray made this boat, especially since the company was known as Ray Industries, until Brunswick bought them in the mid-80's. The OP already stated that the manufacturer was Winner, so it is likely a Winner Seville.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a side question...why is cable steering so dangerous?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

The guy should pay you to take that boat...seriously though, if you pay more than $100 for it, you got ripped.

I'm not sure if you're aware of how much work it's going to take to get that boat back on the water...........it's much more expensive than you think.

In the end, it would be much cheaper to buy a "turn key" boat than try to refurb this one.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

As a side question...why is cable steering so dangerous?

because if it fails (cable breaks) the motor flops to one side immediately and without warning, flipping the boat or worse. Extremely unlikely with a steering rod set up. Instead they get stuck!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

because if it fails (cable breaks) the motor flops to one side immediately and without warning, flipping the boat or worse.

And with 80 hp on the transom. Which brings up another question. How big is that boat, and how much HP would it have been rated for in 1961? I think the biggest OB on the market was less than 100 hp (at the crank). Wouldn't be much fun to rip the transom out of it coming out of the hole.

Just sayin'

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Cable steering is not dangerous gentlemen!! As with anything, proper maintenance and care and the cable steering will last a very long time.

Racers still use cable steering.