1968 18HP EVINRUDE .Runs one day...not the next??

RDSJR

Cadet
Hello all,

I am really confused and hope that some of you can help. I have a 68 Evinrude 18 Fastwin on my small boat. It runs great when it does...The prob is that one day it will run fine all day, then the next day it will hardly start. It is like it will not pick up fuel, I can get it to run a bit but have to keep primering the bulb. If the boat sits a couple of days after running it will start fine?? The only time I have problems is the day after Im on the water, if it sits a couple days its fine. I am confused on what this could be, Im thinking maybe the float is ack sticking...any help is greatly appreciated, I need to get back on the water!! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::confused:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1968 18HP EVINRUDE .Runs one day...not the next??

Hi RDSJR. Is is it pumping water? If not, you may be over heating. In which case you'll need to replace the water pump. If it is pumping water well, but you have to keep priming the bulb, make sure the vent on your gas tank is open. If it is and the problem persists, then your fuel pump is probably failing on you. I don't think you can get a rebuild kit for it so you may have to replace it. A factory replacement pump is about $60, but you can get other fuel pumps by companies like Briggs and Stratton that will work for about $20 plus a little modification, but before you do all that, I would try something simple and just clean and rebuild the carb. If you're lucky, it may be as simple as that. You can get the carb kit right here at iboats. If the fuel pump checks out, then you may also have a problem in the ignition. You should check to see if you're getting a strong blue spark that can jump 1/4" gap. Inspect the coils when you pull the flywheel. If they look damaged in any way you'll need to replace it, but if they look ok, they usually are. A $15 tune up kit with points and condensers is cheap, quick and easy and will give you a nice strong spark. Check out these links they can help you through a basic tune up and trouble shooting.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Re: 1968 18HP EVINRUDE .Runs one day...not the next??

I agree with kfa. Sounds like you are building a vacuum in your fuel tank due to a clogged fuel vent in your cap or boat. When you prime during cranking you are building enough pressure/suction to overcome the vacuum. When it sits the vacuum is slowly released. Hope that this is your problem.