Chrysler Outboard 12.9 HP

M. Sheepdog

Recruit
Could not see it listed under HP section, Might not be many around, Do not know the Yr, Not sure if it shown, will have a look again when it gets light. But 12.9 does exist, but not listed separately.
I do however require a tiller arm and connection for it, It was used with cables.
I bought it maybe 5th hand or more, I stripped it down, except for power head, good clean repaint, altogether, after adjusting points, and new plugs starts 1st time. But I want to use it as an ancillary engine on my 21 ft inboard diesel boat. So I need a tiller. someone did advertise on eBay, a few weeks ago, for about $12 But postage to UK, was about $30 I missed it, unfortunately have not been able to find any others. There must be some out there. I think original colours (UK Spelling) of the outboard, was Ivory with a gold trim top. It also used to have a light on top, Not now.

How about getting the HP listed.
Other than that any help with a tiller arm.

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler Outboard 12.9 HP

12.9 appeared in 71,72,73 There is a good chance that 9.9 and 12.9 share tiller parts.
I believe the 9.9 runs 68-84 when they became Force.Of course the later modelsprobably are different.
Also Chrysler made motors for Momtgomery ward Sea King that may use similar tiller parts.
Someone at aomci may be able to help.TwinCities outboards Also the Chrysler Crew?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The tiller handle and star gear is the same from the Chrysler 8hp to 15 hp and the Force 9.9 so you could use any that you can find. The 12.9 was one of those oddball sizes that Chrysler made. No one can tell me why it was made. Perhaps there was a niche market for them. But yes, it is listed in Clymers manual.

If it had the light on top, was it the electric start "Autoelectric" model? These had a starter/generator mounted on top of the flywheel and directly coupled to the crankshaft. After starting, the motor doubled as a generator to keep the battery charged.

M. Sheepdog

Recruit

Hi Yes it is the Autoelectric model, They still have a pull cord just incase, which stores nicely inside. With it being used with remote cables, I have had to make a few of the linkages, and renew the choke pull bar. But now as I said starts 1st time, good little engine. Usable as a backup, I would just have to leave the hood off, to throttle it. Thanks for the help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That engine is a PIA to set the points! You need to remove the starter motor casing and wires, then make a special tool to pull the armature for the starter, then remove the mount which includes a bearing, and finally pop the flywheel. Big job for a small repair procedure.

Then, since the armature retaining bolt also secures the flywheel, you must also be certain to torque the bolt properly; there is no flywheel nut.

M. Sheepdog

Recruit

Mine was not to bad to set points, full starter came off, 3 bolts + the top one. armature keyed to shaft, so just lifted the whole lot off. pop the flywheel, set the points all back on, maybe they changed the system from the one you have seen. As you say, no flywheel nut, just the bolt in the top of stater.

fucawi

Banned

I made a tiller arm for mine from some 2 inch box and tube but I have the throttle on a remote throttle/gear shifter.. On all my magneto motors I have replaced the contacts with a bit of electronics ..bye bye contacts and condensers anyone interested in how to do it ...??/

M. Sheepdog

Recruit

On all my magneto motors I have replaced the contacts with a bit of electronics ..bye bye contacts and condensers anyone interested in how to do it ...??/
I am sure that a lot would like to know how to do it.