Old/New boat

Jason H. Rea

Recruit
My brother and I have a 69 Starcraft boat with a 120hp 4-cylinder Mercruiser motor. It hasn't been started for about a year, so before cranking it, we would like to tune up the motor. I'm not new to engines, so I have no problem tuning up the motor. <br /><br />Problem is, Mercruiser made a few different 4 cylinders, I don't know which motor we have, so off course I don't know which parts to get. There are several different numbers on the side of the block, but they're so scattered that they really don't make much sense to me. Are there any online webpages tha would help me? <br /><br />I'm relatively new to boats so what else should we check before taking the 1.5hr trip to the lake, just watch the boat sink. <br /><br />Also can anybody recommend a decent place online that I can order the parts from? I have a Bass Pro Shop here in Vegas, but will they have parts for something that old? They already said they don't work on vehicles they didn't sell!<br /><br />Thanks for any help. <br />Can't wait to finally get this thing wet!!<br /><br />Jason

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Old/New boat

I got my points, condensor, rotor and coil at the local parts store. If you take them with you they can match them up.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its probably a 2.5 120 horse Merc. Bullet proof engine. Make sure you use marine ignition and fuel parts. Give the bellows a good inspection, that will keep you from sinking. Thats a pretty nice looking boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I went to your profile to see if I could find the boat picture. First pic was a little scary, but once I found the boat pictures, it was all ok :p :D <br />Anyways, you have a 2.5L Chevy 120 in your boat.<br />Here is a site with pictures (sometimes) and part numbers for your engine and drive.<br />It's VERY old in boat years, and many parts are NLA, so good luck.<br /><br /> http://dougrussell.com/partscatalog/collections/index.cfm?fuseaction=collectdetails&colid=04

Jason H. Rea

Recruit

Originally posted by Mercrewser:<br /> Its probably a 2.5 120 horse Merc. Bullet proof engine.
Is there anyway to verify that it is a 2.5?<br /><br />sorry about the picture size, it's fixed now