New and need help plzzzz

Bimmer540i

Recruit
Hi I have a 1973 mercury 150 hp I baught the boat and motor... the owner said it needed only throttle cables to be adjusted so I got that done well. Put it in the water boat has no reverse n goes trolling speed in foward when I try to go faster engine revs n boat stops .. had a mechanic come look at it he said it was the prop n put a new one has the same problems. Now he said its the lowwer unit ...

Ps. Out the water with earmuffs on the boat.. when I put in reverse it spins and when I put it in foward it spins .. when boat is off it locks in foward and iin reverse when spinning by hand n spins frreely in neutral

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New and need help plzzzz

There's no load out of the water so you can't go by running it on the muffs. You said you adjusted throttle cables. I would make sure you are fully shifting into forward. If it is shifting then it sounds like the lower unit or possibly the lower unit spline that goes into the block.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: New and need help plzzzz

OK, the proper way to adjust those cables is as follows. This assumes gearcase is installed properly: Remove both cables from motor. Set MerControl to neutral (Handle in the 12 O'clock position). Throttle cable will be extended fully and shift cable will be half way extended. Move throttle into forward and watch shift cable retract.

Set back to neutral and move shift slide on motor to center position. It will click into neutral and stay there. Now adjust barrel nut to fit clamp when shift cable end fits onto shift slider pin. Tighten locknut.

Now install throttle cable to throttle arm. Adjust barrell nut to push throttle closed, and add some preload to keep it closed. Now install barrel nut.

Let us know if you have further problems.