Shift shaft seal

74Silverline

Cadet
Well, after resealing the upper half of my Pre-Alpha 888 drive I put everything back together. I filled it with oil and everything seemed fine. That was a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had it in the water yet, since the upper reseal. I backed her into the garage yesterday to clean her up for this coming weekend and to adjust my shift cable. After getting the cable adjusted, I noticed oil leaking from the small drain hole for the cavity in front of the shift shaft. I had pressure checked the lower half and found no leaks earlier. I'm thinking that with me trying to adjust the shift cable the leak has now started from around the shift shaft bushing. My question is this, can the shift shaft bushing and seal be replaced without having to actually remove the shift shaft itself? I hope so as it would save me a lot of time and effort. <br />Thanks,<br />74Silverline...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift shaft seal

My question is this, can the shift shaft bushing and seal be replaced without having to actually remove the shift shaft itself?
Yes

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

74<br /> beaware that when you lift the bushing assy off the lower the rod will come with it. use a pencil or small punch and keep the lowerunit shift shaft pushed in place when remving the bushing assy :) <br />dont ask how I know this.

74Silverline

Cadet

Thanks, rodbolt.<br />Yah, I kinda figured that might happen. I tore into it last night and it went pretty good. Hour later she was all back together. <br />Thanks,<br />74Silverline