Question about patching "screw holes" where tabs use to be...

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to move my speedo pick up to accomodate for the addition of my trim tabs. I have read so many threads concerning patching what is literally (4) 7/64 of an inch holes for the screws that were used. Here is what i have done so far. I cleaned out the holes that are about an 1 inch deep, cleaned the surrounding area with goof off and degreaser, purchased the WaterWeld (made by JB Weld) from Lowes, cut off the pieces/kneaded them together/rolled them into long noodles and shoved them in to the holes. After 24 hours I sanded the spots down smooth 320 grit. So I take it I am supposed to repair the surface with epoxy resin for fiberglass? So my questions is this and it may be stupid but how else do you get answers without asking. I know the Rust Oleum enamel has a forest green paint in both can and quart that is a direct match for my boat. Can I just pre-tint the resin of the mix with the added paint and then do the hardener? And if so... can I spray the resin on in layers then sand it down?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about patching "screw holes" where tabs use to be...

ok......couple of things....

the jb weld you used is an epoxy based resin....so proper gellcoat is out.

you can tint the jb weld and cover...sand and paint. but im not sure if the jb weld will change colors with the catylist.

the proper way....is to fill the holes with poly resin structural filler called (on this forum) peanut butter. then fair and gellcoat. fair and buff