496 MAG water pump replacement

ekordas

Recruit
anyone ever replaced the water pump on a 496 mercruiser? my dad was just stranded on the lake when it went out. (Rinker 282) he got it in the garage to pull the old pump off and realized its on the underside of the motor and near impossible to get to. Rinker's site says you have to pull the motor off, but the dealer says you don't. Anyone have any personal experience with this? I understand that taking the engine bay cover(backseat) off, makes the job a hell of a lot easier.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 496 MAG water pump replacement

anyone ever replaced the water pump on a 496 mercruiser?

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Well, you need to be a little more specific.

Are you talking about the "496 water pump" Which could be an engine driven circulating pump,

OR is it the Bravo "SEA WATER" pump, also engine driven on the starboard front side of the engine?

The Sea Water pump AKA the "raw water pump" is pretty easy to remove/repair/replace.

There's a couple of bolts and hoses to loosen/remove to do the job.

You probably should get your hands on a correct model service manual for the specifics.

Depending on how the engine is mounted in the boat, there may be a LOT of room to get the pump off or there may not be. .....which is why some may claim you have to pull the engine:eek:. ..........that's Probably unlikely....

Regards,

Rick

45Auto

Commander
Re: 496 MAG water pump replacement

You have to be able to remove the pump to change the rubber impellor, which is a standard maintenance item.

I have a hard time believing Rinker would build something that you have to pull the engine every year or so to change the impellor.

You'll probably have to remove some interior parts to get to the front of the engine, but it's easy after that. My 496 is in a 22' Crownline, I haven't seen any that are crammed in tighter than it is.