1985 Mercruiser 470 starter issues

rwhite2022

Recruit
I have a 1985 Mercruiser 470. Also have the reconverted alternator kit installed. Starter works fine when the engine is cold. If I run the boat for awhile and try to restart when the engine is hot the starter just clicks. I can take a screwdriver and jump the starter solenoid to the starter and it will fire right over.

If I wait 5 to 10 minutes and let the engine cool down a bit it will fire right over.

I was thinking it might be the starter solenoid but the screwdriver method seems to rule that out.

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 Mercruiser 470 starter issues

the screw driver thing is by passing everything when the engine heats up it in turns heats up the starter solenoid and fails replace the solenoid and you should be alright

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 Mercruiser 470 starter issues

You have two solenoids on the 470. A slave bolted to the side of the block and the solenoid on the starter. If you can activate the starter solenoid with a screwdriver it is more likely the slave is defective. Here is what it looks like: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/showSpecialPicture.asp?pn=65057T1 Rather than jumpering the starter directly, next time jumper between the two large posts on the slave, if the starter works you need to replace the slave.