Please help me understand

phenrichs

Cadet
Sorry for the newbie question but something has been really confusing me in reading and searching posts so I figure I better just ask and find out.

I do not own a boat. We have been doing some DIY research before we go to any dealers.
I understand that in buying a new boat you can choose what size engine you would like to hang off the back but am I to understand that you have to pick the prop too? I would have thought that was something that was tuned to the engine due to the performance capability of the engine.

Or is this really something that is tuned to personal preference?

So for example 2 16' boats of equal dimension each with a 40hp outboard of equal model could run two different props? I get that you could put whatever you want on it but what is the advantage?

If it makes any difference we are looking primarily at pontoons so I am sure I will end up with some gross monstrosity of a big engine for what I want to do with it.
Thanks

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please help me understand

Usually the prop that comes with the motor is the best prop for the motor for all around use. Some people change it to get a better hole shot and some change it to get better top end. You can change it to a stainless steel prop to give you a little better performance. But for the most part the prop that comes with the motor is going to give you pretty good all around performance. Hope that helped you.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Prop selection is one of those fuzzy areas, it's not an exact science....but there are rules of thumb.

So for example 2 16' boats of equal dimension each with a 40hp outboard of equal model could run two different props?
Yes they could because the boats may be being used differently. If one is being used with a light load and the other is being loaded heavily they may run different pitched props to maximize engine/boat performance. Within limits of course.

Your dealer will be able to help you pick a prop, based on the engine and how you want to use the boat.

The type of hull, the way you will primarily use/load the boat, and the engine are all factors that go into picking the best prop for your setup. Sometimes, you try one and it doesn't quite work as well as it could, so you may try a different pitch based on how the first one actually performed. I'm over simplifying this intentionally.....your dealer will be able to help you, but sometimes you have to try a couple to get it dialed in.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind if you run say a 200 hp on your pontoon it will use about 20 gallons per hour at wot(wide open throttle)
Also if your going to be doing water sports you might consider a tri toon.