Loss of RPM at WOT

tmaysjr

Cadet
I have a 2004 Mercruiser 5.0L MPI. Engine has been running great. Got a new prop and have been happy with it. I put in on the water this weekend and could tell it was taking on water, but nothing too bad that the bilge could not handle. When I got out on the water WOT was 2000 RPMs less that is was last weekend, therefore it would not plane and max MPH was maybe 5-10. Prior to this weekend I did change the fuel filter and the sterndrive gear lube. The motor runs great just 2000 RPM less. I also looked on the prop and a couple of the blades looks like someone backed into it. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions? Thank you!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Loss of RPM at WOT

I'd say that prop damage is what is causing your issue.

V

tmaysjr

Cadet

I thought that as well and the damage is barely noticable. It is a 4 blade stainless prop and only two of the blades were slightly bent. The mechanic hammered out a little. There is not water in the oil, no alarms sounding, just loss of power.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Why are you taking on water? Where is it coming from? That can add a lot of weight to the boat. ?

V

tmaysjr

Cadet

It has to be somewhere in the sterndrive. I will have that checked out, but I pump it all out and is still does this loss of RPM. I am going to send the prop to the shop and have it re pitched buy cant imagine it would make that much difference.