hiawatha model #25-3260, what year

vidaliaman

Seaman
i just got my hands on a hiawatha model number 25-3260, serial number looks like 35966 i think, i know what year a model #25-3258 is but i cant find out this model number, also, what is the best way to bust loose the pistons? i don't want to cause any more damage by ripping on it,

any ideas?

thanks dave
gowen mi

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: hiawatha model #25-3260, what year

I couldn't find that number. It is made by Gale a devision of OMC.
Guessing its a 5 or 12 hp due to your reference to pistons.Very likely from the 50s.
If its a 5 hp it will not have a head ,it may have a cover do not remove the side covers or rear cover as getting them to seal is nearly impossible.Try soaking the cylinders with sea foam
If the ports are un covered it may be difficult. Some have tried PB blaster others brake fluid.
You could use a dowel or aluminum rod against the pistons whack it carefully to pop things loose.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Should be a late 40's or early 50's 3 hp according to your numbers. Is it one cylinder or two? Another option on cylinder soaking is 50:50 trans fluid and acetone. Pull the plugs and fill the jugs...let it soak for a day or two and keep the jugs full...then put a wrench on the flywheel nut and try to budge it...back and forth, back and forth. If it doesn't budge in a week or two, you've acquired a parts motor or anchor...depending on how you look at it.

vidaliaman

Seaman

thanks for the heads up guys, question steelespike i did remove the portside cylinder cover or plate, probably should not have, you say they are almost impossible to seal, what would you recommend to reseal?

thanks dave
gowen mi

vidaliaman

Seaman

hey captain, one of the cylinders were seized up bad, are pistons and rings easy to get your hands on?

thanks dave
gowen mi

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

thanks for the heads up guys, question steelespike i did remove the portside cylinder cover or plate, probably should not have, you say they are almost impossible to seal, what would you recommend to reseal?

thanks dave
gowen mi
I never had to do a cover I think your best bet may be to go to www.aomci.org
the Antique outboard motor club and ask.I also wonder if you might be better off trying to find a good power head these motors are still pretty common.Motors were built for many private labels. Depending on the Model you have; Western Auto"Western Flyer",Goodrich "Sea Flyer"Gamble Skogmo "Hiawatha",Fedway "Saber",AMC "Saber",Atlas"Royal",Gale products "Buccaner",Spiegel"Brooklure",Goodyear "Sea Bee"Montgomery W "Sea King".
To pick from.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you can identify the horsepower, I might have a powerhead (it's a 5hp). Send me a PM if interested.