Boat suggestions

JustDave

Recruit
I'm looking to get a boat soon and want something that I could fish in as well as pull kids around on a tube with. I'd be fishing in the Puget sound area around Tacoma and doing some lake fishing and tubing also. I was hoping to get some opinions on what type of boat to get. I'm looking for an 18-20 foot boat so that we'd have room to take people out and and the budget is around 5k or less. I spotted a Bluewater 18 ft bowrider that I liked the set up on but wasn't sure if it would be a good fit for what I'll be using it for. The wife likes the look of the Seaswirl and Bayliner bowriders but again I'm not sure if they would be ok to fish from. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wifes pick:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/2577098760.html

My pick:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2571984785.html

Thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat suggestions

couple of things.......

stay away from anything that says OMC.....just forget it ....run...

a 3l or 4.3 will be fine....better the 4.3.....merc or volvo.

you could step up in years quite a bit with a 5k budget.

both those boats are over priced....

any boat that has been in the salt will be quite a bit less than a fresh water boat.
any bayliner that is older than 95 will need work.

you are looking for a fresh water boat that has been garage kept.

your 18-22 foot bowrider is on track

JustDave

Recruit

Thanks for the tips. I'm completely clueless to this helps a lot.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is boat university......read here lots...read the merc or volvo forums......read the restoration forums....

the merc or volvo forums will show you what to look for motor wise.
the restoration forum will show you wat to look for before you buy.

what ever you think you want....post it here like you just did....dont worry about being a pest...just post....that is what we are here for.
dont be afraid of a stupid question....there arent any.

i dont know what your time line is......but if you can hang on for a few months...the prices will drop about a grand or so.

also....vegas has some super deals just before christmas and thru january.....i drove down there to get a boat...bought a 19 foot bayliner for 1700 fixed it and sold it for 7800 after 3 seasons.

JustDave

Recruit

Thanks again for the tips. I was planning on getting one soon but if the prices will be dropping that much I can definitely wait a few months. I mainly wanted to be ready come spring next year and started researching now.

Is it better to do dealer or private party? Is it common to be able to water test before you buy?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

1. Outboard motor

2. Self-bailing/draining deck

3. No carpet

4. Deep V with a good flare on the bow

5. Trailer: if the previous owner used the trailer often, and sank it in salt water, be prepared to rewire, rehab brakes if it has them (which is why a sinlgle axle is nice if you can get away with it) and get bearings, etc. rehabbed. If it's a steel trailer, budget to replace soon. real soon.

6. Go online, and then to dealers and marinas, and look at different boat styles in the 17-21' range. Look at new boats to compare, and decide what style is best for your use. Focus on open space and roominess, rather than a lot of built-in seats and wrap-around dash boards. When you pick your style, then, and only then, start shopping.

7. for a good starter boat for your use and area, look on line at the 17-19' Scout, Sea Hunt, Carolina Skiff (if they have them out there), Key West and Grady White, then look for a used one. I recommend center console with built in bow seating first, then dual console/fish n ski. (Look at the Parker center console on line to see one without bow seating--great boat but not your family general purpose boat.) I recommend against a bow rider and against an inboard in a boat under 21', for space reasons.

8. be sure to know and budget insurance, storage, title and taxes for both trailer and boat, and initial repairs such as water pump and mechanic check-up. At least 20% of purchase price. Also all Coast Guard required equipment, anchor, etc. if not provided (many private party sales are "fully stocked.")

9. Outboard motor.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good advice so far. The Puget Sound can get pretty choppy at times (instead of rolling waves), so I would definitely go with a deep V. They tend to slice through the water. I have had personal experience with Wellcraft and Trophy and thought both performed well. For length, 18' would be a bit small for my comfort level on the Sound and would personally go for the 20 - 21 foot range. Good luck

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grew up in Port Orchard and took my first real job in Anacortes. At that time, I had a 16ft Crestliner that I'd take out of Washington Park and cruise around in. When I got out into the shipping channels and rode with the ferries to the San Juans, it was clear to me that I was waaaayyyyyyyy too small and underpowered. I wouldn't consider anything under 21ft out there, with plenty of motor to get the hell out of the way when necessary!

I knew of people who took 4 adults in their 10ft alum (10hp kicker) fishing in Deceptions Pass. They did it every summer, but I can't say that I'd want to join them on that trip.

13utchy

Recruit

I'm looking to pick up my first boat as well .... Hopefully in the next 2 weeks or so.

I already have mooring space reserved for next season, thus am going to be boating primarily in Lake Champlain (Burlington, Vermont). Question however; is a 20' boat going to make a big difference in handling as compared to a 17' boat? Lake Champlain can get a little choppy at times & be unpredictable & I've heard bigger is better.

I'm looking at a 1998 Four Winns Horizon 200 with a 4.3 Merc & Volvo outdrive (unsure of hours at the moment) -- $7,500.00

OR

a 2002 Four Winns Horizon 170 with a 3.0 Volvo .... 271 hours -- $7,500.00

Any advice is much appreciated.

Probably will be doing only very occassional tubing ... Primarily, cruising around the lake, site seeing & fishing.